Home | Job Postings | Summer Jobs
Positions: Outdoor Education Instructors
Organization: Heading Outside
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Heading Outside is looking for passionate and skilled outdoor educators to deliver screen-free, experiential learning and play activities for the fall outdoor school year beginning September 2021.
- Provide positive, engaging, interactive and fun outdoor education instruction and activities for small pods of children in the outdoors
- Research, plan, coordinate and evaluate weekly lessons linked to the local curriculum
- Establish a method to integrate academic areas of focus identified by parents
- Evaluate children’s progress in the learning goals and/or overall engagement in the lessons
- Map out areas for outdoor education programming and lead pods on daily excursions
- Identify and help coordinate the purchase of necessary materials and supplies each week
- Consult with Heading Outside to review lessons and program delivery (as required)
- Complete any paperwork or other administrative tasks required
- Teaching certification, enrollment in teaching certification/Bachelor of Education program OR at least one semester/season of experience in delivering outdoor education programming for children/youth
- Knowledge of or experience in linking outdoor education activities with curriculum subjects
- At least 2 semesters/seasons of experience in working with children/youth in any setting
- Familiarity with local ecology in your region and have 1 set of tree/plant/bird/insect guide books (can be purchased upon hiring)
- Ability to work independently with a group of children
- Strong research, programming and communication skills
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR C certification (or ability to obtain it within a short time period)
- Willing to provide proof of a vulnerable sector screening police reference check within the past 6 months
- Trained in Heading Outside Education (will be provided free to successful candidates)
- Able to work outdoors in all weather
- Own and be able to carry a backpack (carrying programming supplies - approximately 25 lb.)
- Able to hike over terrain of varying difficulty
- Knowledge of organic gardening a plus
Term of Employment
- School year pod beginning fall 2021
E-mail your resume and cover letter to:
subject: Outdoor Educators
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis to fill regular requests for teaching pod outdoor educators. Please indicate which term of employment you are interested in - fall, winter or spring.
Contract length: variable
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $20.00-$30.00 per hour
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Jul 10 2021