Home | Job Postings | Education Jobs
Positions: Outdoor Education Instructors
Organization: Heading Outside
Location: Toronto, Canada (also looking for instructors near other large cities across Canada)
Heading Outside is looking for passionate and skilled outdoor educators to deliver screen-free, experiential education for families or learning pods of children in 2022 and beyond.
- Provide positive, engaging, interactive and fun outdoor education instruction and activities for families or small pods of children (typically a max. of 6 children)
- Research, plan, coordinate and evaluate weekly lessons linked to the local curriculum
- Integrate academic areas of focus identified by parents
- Evaluate children’s progress and overall engagement in lessons
- Map areas for outdoor education programming and lead pods on daily excursions
- Identify and help coordinate the purchase of necessary materials and supplies each week
- Consult with Heading Outside to review lessons and program delivery (as required)
- Complete any paperwork or other administrative tasks required
- Completion of a bachelor degree OR diploma in ECE Program required
- Teaching certification, enrollment in a Bachelor of Education program OR at least 2 semesters/seasons of experience in working with children/youth in any setting
- At least one semester/season of experience in delivering outdoor education programming for children/youth
- Knowledge of or experience in linking outdoor education activities with curriculum subjects
- Familiarity with local ecology in your region
- Have 1 set of tree/bird/insect guide books (can be purchased upon hiring or borrowed from the library)
- Ability to work independently with a group of up to 6 children
- Strong research, programming and communication skills
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR C certification (or ability to obtain it within a short time period)
- Willing to provide proof of a vulnerable sector screening police reference check within the past 6 months
- Trained in Heading Outside Education (will be provided free to successful candidates)
- Able to work outdoors in all weather
- Own and be able to carry a backpack (carrying programming supplies - approximately 25 lb.)
- Able to hike over terrain of varying difficulty
- Knowledge of organic gardening a plus
Term of Employment
The period of employment will vary and depend on the needs of individual families or learning pods.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis to fill regular requests for teaching pod outdoor educators. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter/resume.
Contract length: 2-9 months
Salary: $20.00-$30.00 per hour
E-mail your resume and cover letter to:
subject: Outdoor Educators
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
Note: The above is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Jul 10 2021