Home | Job Postings | Volunteer
Position: Urban Forestry Leader
Organization: City of Surrey
Location: Surrey, Greater Vancouver BC
Engage our community in caring for Surrey's urban forest! Urban Forestry Leaders lead other volunteers in hands-on park and tree stewardship projects in Surrey. Training is provided.
- Help staff with set-up and site preparation at stewardship events
- Help staff to instruct and provide support to volunteers at stewardship events
- Host and lead small work parties without staff in parks and neighbourhoods throughout Surrey, including training volunteers to remove invasive plants, identify wildlife species and record data, renovate or install tree wells, and watering bags, use tools properly and safely
- Receive training in plant identification, restoration ecology, invasive plant removal, wildlife monitoring, and group instruction and supervision
- Gain experience in the environmental and urban forestry fields
- Make a direct impact on the health of our urban forest and communities
- Gain professional connections and networking opportunities
- Develop leadership skills and confidence in public speaking
- Earn volunteer hours, and a personalized letter of reference upon request
- 18+ years old
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to travel throughout Surrey
- Strong communication skills; comfortable speaking to small groups
- Attend the two training sessions on Saturday, March 3 and March 10, 2018
- Volunteer a minimum of once per month from April – October. Shifts are usually 4-5 hours in length, and take place on weekend afternoons and weekday evenings.
- Fill out an online application by February 5, 2018
- Provide 2 references (form provided)
- Successfully complete a Police Information Check (free for volunteers)
- Successfully complete an interview
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 43514
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Jan 5 2018