Home | Job Postings | Volunteer
Position: Urban Forestry Leader
Organization: City of Surrey - Urban Forestry
Location: Surrey, Greater Vancouver BC
Applications open until January 31, 2019
Engage our community in exploring and caring for Surrey’s urban forest! Urban Forestry Leaders host nature activities at environmental events, and lead other volunteers in hands-on park and tree stewardship projects in Surrey.
- Promote nature appreciation and the City of Surrey’s environmental programs.
- Facilitate nature activities and walks at events throughout Surrey.
- Help staff to instruct and provide support to volunteers at stewardship events (proper techniques and safe tool use for invasive plant removals, tree & shrub planting, tree well care)
- Help staff with set-up, take-down and site preparation at events.
- Future opportunities to host and lead small work parties without staff in parks throughout Surrey.
- Receive training in urban ecology, plant identification, ecological restoration, nature interpretation and group instruction and supervision.
- Make a direct impact on the health of our community and urban forest.
- Develop confidence in public speaking and leadership skills.
- Gain networking opportunities and experience in the nature interpretation and urban forestry fields.
- Earn volunteer hours and a personalized letter of reference upon request.
- 18+ years old
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Strong communication skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to travel throughout Surrey
- Existing knowledge of local flora and fauna
- Previous experience working with children and/or the public
- Able to communicate in additional languages
- Attend the three training sessions in February & March.
- Volunteer a minimum of once per month from April – October. Shifts are usually 4-5 hours in length on Saturdays, and occasionally on weekday evenings.
- Fill out an online application (http://bttr.im/2jowk)
- Provide 2 references (reference form provided)
- Successfully complete an interview with Urban Forest Stewardship staff
- Successfully complete a Police Information Check (free for volunteers)
A limited number of volunteers are accepted for this leadership opportunity.
For further information about this program, please contact Sarah Brookes at firstname.lastname@example.org , or call 604.501.7687.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Dec 7 2018