Home | Job Postings | Outdoor Education
Position: Forest School Volunteers
Program: Saplings Outdoor Program
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Saplings Outdoor Program is seeking passionate individuals to volunteer at our forest school summer camp programs!
- Work alongside Forest School Educators to plan and implement a dynamic forest program.
- Work alongside Forest School Educators to support children with special needs
- Ensure the safety of all children including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrain.
- Ensure the daily preparation of learning areas and materials.
- Assume overall responsibility for program tools and equipment, to include safety, use, and maintenance.
- Plan, prepare, and co-create seasonal activities and projects utilizing natural materials, locally foraged or sourced.
- Implement mentor ship strategies that are individually focused and age appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings as needed.
- Communicate with parents effectively, in person and occasionally by phone.
- Be physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies.
- Support the benefits of risk taking, movement, and physical development in the early years.
- Encourage familiarity with the local flora and fauna, to include poisonous plants and their location, or be willing to be mentored, seek outside training or self-study.
- Model and teach outdoor skills including risk management, knots, shelter building, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices and interacting with local wildlife.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Criminal Record Check.
- Preferably work experience with children ages 3-8
- Interpersonal skills as you are interacting with children and parents.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Jun 17 2021