Position: Climate Change: Coordination & Support Advisor
Type: international position with living allowance, accom., airfare, more (see below)
Organization: Cuso International
Location: Xaythany, Laos, Southeast Asia
24 Month | Start Date between Jun - Aug 2017
Location Xaythany, Laos
Start Date Jun - Aug 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 24 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of the placement is to provide support to small holder farmers in Laos in developing, adapting and innovating technologies and practices related to soil and water management in order to improve agriculture and food security, in response to climate change effects. The activities will be primarily focused at Phailom village, but will also be focused at other sites in the surrounding sites. Occasional support of activities at Phailom climate smart village in Savannakhet province will also be likely from time to time.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Facilitate improved collaboration, cooperative working relationships, information management and activity coordination in CSV development in Phailom village with the relevant stakeholders, under the oversight of the National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute & IRRI researchers based in IRRI office in Vientiane Capital, Laos.
- Support continuous learning and adaptive research & participatory trials to increase understanding and ownership by farmers and staff assigned from local agricultural office to the CSV village site in Phailom village and neighboring areas in Champhone District.
- Work closely with IRRI in soil and watershed management, rainwater harvesting, small-scale irrigation and micro-catchment pond design & construction with practical applications to local production measures.
- Support validation of maps and overlays for field water availability and water catchment & topography, soil types, etc. with GIS ground sensing.
- Contribute to the development of project concept proposals and collaborative partnership formation for wider dissemination & scaling out of CSV technologies.
- Follow up with community mobilization and organization with activities for CSA and small business start-up and marketing the target groups at Ekxang village within a strategic framework for improvement of livelihoods in liaison with local consultants, resource persons and other volunteers.
- Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (marginalized women, people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups) and opportunities to improve women’s social & economic empowerment
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Degree in Agricultural Sciences / Horticultural Production and Water Management
Essential Professional Background:
- Agriculture/ horticulture project implementation
- Horticultural production skills and experience in
- Experience and proven competencies in community development, farmer facilitation and application of
- Experience of water and soil management projects social science research.
- GIS and mapping skills in the agricultural sector
- Experience or knowledge of enterprise & business development in the agricultural sector.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
Apply on our website:
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.