Job Title: Supervisor, Environmental Sustainability
Employer: City of Mississauga
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Req ID: 15441
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Contract Duration: n/a
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 04/23/2021
The Environment (ENV) Section has evolved over the last year, particularly with the approval by Council of the Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP) in December 2019. Under the direction of the Environment Manager and in collaboration with the ENV Section’s Climate Change Specialist and Supervisors, Climate Change and Environmental Outreach, the Supervisor, Environmental Sustainability will be responsible for supporting a sustainability culture, including implementing actions related to climate change and air quality, waste management and community litter, and other environmental initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within this role, there will be several key responsibilities:
- Provide advice and strategic direction to internal and external stakeholders to advance climate change and air quality, waste management and community litter, and other environmental initiatives.
- Develop and foster collaboration and partnerships to support the implementation of climate, waste, and sustainability initiatives in the City, including external stakeholders, private sector partners, and funders (e.g., participating in member organizations, working with other levels of government and other municipalities).
- Supervise the development and implementation of the Environment Section’s existing and new strategies (e.g. Urban Agriculture Strategy and Corporate Zero Waste Strategy).
- Support the implementation of the five Climate Change Action Plan pathways (Buildings & Clean Energy, Resilient & Green Infrastructure, Accelerating Innovation & Discovery, Low Emissions Mobility, Engagement & Partnerships).
- Update existing, and develop new, corporate policies with respect to the environment and sustainability.
- Work with industry, businesses and other stakeholders to support initiatives, pilots, programs and projects to improve sustainability, decrease emissions and enhance resilience (e.g. cleantech companies, manufactures, developers, Mississauga Board of Trade, Partners in Project Green, Conservation Authorities).
- Integrate sustainability and climate risks into Annual Financial Reporting and disclosures (e.g. Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosures), CCAP and other City projects.
- Provide support and strategic direction on the management and diversion of municipal waste and community litter, and identify circular economy opportunities to help divert waste from landfill.
- Act as the liaison with City divisions and the Region of Peel on corporate waste-related activities and services.
- Identify and track emerging sustainability issues, trends and legislation.
- Supervise and provide oversight to direct reports.
- Manage operating and capital budgets, supervise external consultants and contracts, and develop funding strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree from a recognized university or college in environmental studies, environmental science, or related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant climate change, waste, and sustainability experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of climate change and environmental policy development, familiarity with environmental legislation, environmental sustainability, community development, municipal administration and human resources management.
- Experience leading a team.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with cross-departmental staff, members of the public, residents, businesses, colleagues, external agencies, regional partners, provincial groups and elected officials.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate/facilitate, build consensus and partnerships, and present information to varied audiences in a concise and sensitive manner.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills including strong presentation skills; Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with all levels of staff, elected officials, and members of external agencies and stakeholders, and the general public.
- Project management experience in leading cross-departmental strategic initiatives.
- Ability to self-manage in a timely and organized fashion and successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office Suite applications and databases.
Additional desired qualifications:
- Certification in Corporate Social Responsibility or Environmental, Social and Governance, Waste Management or equivalent.
- Familiarity with internationally recognized sustainability frameworks and reporting models (e.g., Taskforce on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures, Global Covenant of Mayors).
- Subject matter expertise in climate change, sustainability, and waste management programs (e.g. reduce, reuse, recycling, composting and disposal), waste legislative requirements, and waste audits.
- Prior experience working with or within a municipality.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 80,638.00 - $ 107,518.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Organization Unit: CMS/Waste Management
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Parks, Forestry & Environment , Environment
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
Please apply via the link below or by visiting http://www.mississauga.ca:
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.