Position: Adult Programs Coordinator and Naturalist Teacher
Organization: High Park Nature Centre
Location: High Park, Toronto, Ontario
Job Type: 30 hours / week
As the Adult Programs Coordinator and Naturalist Teacher, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the coordination of the High Park Nature Centre’s adult programs, including adult workshops, guided hikes, and seniors programming. This will include liaising with instructors; scheduling programs; communicating with participants; and overseeing registration for all adult programs. This position will also actively teach a wide diversity of environmental, outdoor education programs at the Nature Centre, including school programs, nature camps and clubs for children.
For full job details please review the attached job description below.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience teaching both children and adults in educational and/or recreational programs, preferably outdoors;
- University degree or college diploma in education, environmental studies or sciences or an environment-related discipline an asset;
- Strong knowledge of Toronto’s ecology and natural history;
- Experience with positive behavioural management and conflict resolution;
- Experience coordinating program / project logistics;
- Experience developing educational resources;
- Ability for effective teamwork as well as independent work;
- Strong ability to provide necessary feedback to instructors in a constructive manner;
- Creativity and enthusiasm with excellent problem solving skills;
- Proven time management skills and the ability to manage a diverse workload;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proficiency in Excel and Word;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all conditions;
- Fluency in French an asset;
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates or willingness to acquire; and
- Current Vulnerable Sector Check or willingness to acquire.
Closing Date: July 21, 2018 by 5pm.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter as one PDF file to Jon Hayes, Programs Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. (Apply as soon as possible as there is a possibility of a July 30 start date).
Due to the volume of applications we receive, no follow up phone calls or emails please.
The High Park Nature Centre is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from People of Colour, Indigenous People, and other visible minorities.
Start Date: September 4, 2018 (Please apply as soon as possible as there is a possibility of a July 30th start date).
Adult Programs Coordinator & Naturalist Teacher Job Description
Program Delivery (65%)
- Teach outdoor environmental education programs to children, youth and adults, including birthday parties; guides & scouts programs; nature clubs; school programs; camps and other programs as required;
- Develop and adapt current program plans.
Program Coordination, Planning and Administration (20%)
- Coordinate and plan outdoor environmental education programs for adults including (but not limited to): adult workshops and classes; guided hikes; seniors programs; and nature book club
- Oversee registration and communications for adult programs in concert with the Office Administrator and Communications Coordinator;
- Develop a roster of adult program instructors;
- Prepare and organize contracts for adult program instructors;
- Update confirmation letters;
- Distribute and analyze participant evaluation surveys and amend programming as needed;
- Assess and implement health and safety protocols for adult programs;
- Work with Program Director to develop a long-term adult program plan for each year;
- Ensure program statistics are accurately tracked;
- Prepare quarterly end-of-season adult program reports;
- Scope new instructors, topics and/or partnerships and propose new adult programs;
- Represent adult programs on the Programming Committee;
- Provide Program Director with input regarding adult program fees and yearly budget;
- Track adult program budget and report on a quarterly basis;
- Provide program information to Communications Coordinator to ensure timely communications schedule for adult programs promotion;
- Make changes to website as needed;
- Photography during programs for use in publicity and program materials.
Human Resources (10%)
- Work with Event and Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, schedule, supervise and evaluate volunteers for adult programs;
- Provide training and mentorship to part-time staff, volunteers, interns and co-op students working with adult programs.
- Organize, repair, maintain and develop program supplies, props and displays;
- Ensure daily building maintenance;
- Ensure animal care;
- Purchase program and other materials (i.e. animal care supplies);
- Other duties as required.
Hours of Work
30 hours / week
Regular weekend and evening work required
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.