Bilingual Green Schools Nova Scotia Engagement Officer
Position: Engagement Officer
Organization: Thinkwell Shift Inc
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
ABOUT THINKWELL SHIFT
Thinkwell Shift (“Shift”) is a behavior change company that specializes in resource conservation. We create strategies that encourage people to make lasting changes in their daily lives to conserve resources such as water, energy, and waste. In order to facilitate behaviour change, we connect with customers using various tactics to guide their path. Shift is looking for a bilingual Engagement Officer to cover the Halifax and Annapolis Valley regions who enjoys working with youth and forging relationships.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Deliver the Green Schools NS program for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Prepare, schedule, and deliver presentations and activities about energy and energy efficiency both in person and remotely.
- Provide engagements in schools and community settings to various ages including adults.
- Communicate program offerings, goals, and resources to new and returning schools.
- Work to actively recruit and engage with new schools
- Work to actively engage with schools that enrolled previously
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with school communities (students, teachers, administrators, parents), program partners, and other stakeholders.
- Provide on-the-ground support and mentorship to program participants throughout the school year.
- Participate in meetings and training as required.
- Participate in the identification, creation, and sharing of program stories through social media and website content, including photographs.
- Seize all relevant opportunities to build, support, and create excitement for the program.
- Help conduct surveys and other evaluation methods.
- Maintain accurate work time and expense records and submit receipts in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records in the Green Schools NS database.
- Maintain toolkit inventory.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Degree or diploma in Education, Environmental Studies, Communications or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Strong spoken, written, and listening communication skills in both French & English.
- Knowledge of energy issues and energy efficiency is considered an asset.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Experience working with children and youth (elementary, junior, and/or senior high school students) in a school setting and/or programming capacity is considered an asset.
- Strong skills in taking initiative, time management, priority setting, organization, planning, attention to details, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
- Public speaking and facilitation skills.
- Experience delivering youth programs with an environmental focus would be considered an asset.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural and diverse environment.
- Bilingualism (English/French) is mandatory for applicants interested in this position working with the provincial Acadian school board (CSAP); it is considered an asset for the other Engagement Officer positions.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver's License, access to a safe and reliable vehicle, and willingness to travel throughout the city or province as required.
- A driving and criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector check, will be required before beginning work in schools.
- Knowledge of the Nova Scotia school system and/or curriculum outcomes and lesson plan development would be considered an asset.
- Personal commitment to leading a sustainable lifestyle and/or expertise in environmental science would be an asset.
Hourly rate: $17/hr up to 35 hours per week. 10-month contract position.
Normal working hours would be approximately Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, with some availability required on evenings and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter and résumé (merged as one document) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Green Schools NS Engagement Officer. Applications will be accepted until August 24, 2018. We thank every last one of you for applying, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.