COMMUNITIES FACING MINING
Hiring: Operational Manager
Organization: FAIME & MiningWatch Canada
Location: remote, anywhere in Canada
Become the first Operational Manager for the Find-An-Independent-Mining-Expert (FAIME) Database Project
- Part-time remote position with flexible hours (minimum 24h/week), with occasional travel
- Up to $65,000 CAD, based on experience and availability of candidate
- 4 weeks paid vacation and generous health and employment benefits
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Apply by May 31st, 2023 (position will remain opened until filled)
The Find an Independent Mining Expert (FAIME) project aims to develop an online database of global experts, including hydrologists, toxicologists, archeologists, economists, lawyers, social scientists, and others, available to provide services to communities affected by mining and the organizations supporting them. Specifically, the FAIME database aims to:
- Provide a secure central database for organizations that support affected communities worldwide to find and hire a credible and trustworthy experts to assist them in addressing new and existing mining projects and policies affecting their territories and wellbeing, including to give or withhold consent, and who are capable of working with respect for local and Indigenous Knowledge.
- Provide a tool for scientists and experts to offer their services to non-industry clients, such as non-governmental and Indigenous organizations that support affected communities, as well as governmental organizations, and to enable them to collaborate, share learning, and develop opportunities more effectively, regardless of their location.
The FAIME project is guided by a co-management and an advisory committee that currently includes partnerships between seven public-interest organizations working with dozens of affected communities worldwide. Their role is to assist and advise MiningWatch Canada, which directs and administers the project. MiningWatch is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to build an inclusive and diverse team.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly capable Operational Manager to manage, maintain, and expand the FAIME’s database. You will be responsible for the active growth of our database through networking, fundraising, and promotional activities. To ensure success, you should possess a high level of comfort in communicating with both affected communities and the scientists and practitioners available to support them. Knowledge, experience, and comfort in working with data management software is a key asset.
The FAIME Operational Manager is supported by technical consultants and works with the FAIME Management Committee members. It reports to FAIME’s host organization, MiningWatch Canada, also a member of the FAIME Management Committee.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
(1) Project Management — Supporting the implementation of FAIME project’s Mission, Vision, and Values through:
- The development of work plans, operational budgets and annual reporting, in collaboration with the FAIME Management Committee and project partners.
- Implementing fundraising and communication strategies to maintain and expand the project and the database of experts;
- Lead in the day-to-day management of the project to ensure the goals, strategies and outcomes outlined in the work plan are achieved;
- Facilitating meetings and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders including technical experts, academics, non-governmental and Indigenous organizations, and third-party service providers;
- Coordinating the training and development of resources for FAIME-registered experts and partners about anti-racism and cultural sensitivity training, including to promote independent experts capable of working with respect for local and Indigenous knowledge;
- Assisting the FAIME Host Organization in fundraising, reporting and other administrative tasks.
(2) Database Development, Expansion & Promotion — Develop, maintain and grow the number of independent experts available to service communities and organizations, by:
- Coordinating the development and regular updating of all communication and promotional materials in multiple languages (English and Spanish first), including for the website (upcoming) and social media engagement;
- Growing the database’s experts contact list through through a variety of strategies, research, and communicational and promotional approaches and channels;
- Facilitating and/or participating in networking events to promote the project and recruit new experts to join the database.
- Responding to all inquiries related to the project and facilitating contact with experts, communities, organizations, and other related resources, etc.;
- Coordinating regular updates of the experts’ contact information and ensuring the accuracy of all information entered into the FAIME database.
- Addressing security, liability, and other database management issues as they arise, including cybersecurity and technical risks;
- Coordinating the translation of promotional material in multiple languages;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience required; preference for experience in a management role or a national/international coordination role for a minimum of 2 years;
- Higher education and/or equivalent background and work experiences;
- Fluent in English, both oral and written, with Spanish fluency as a strong asset.
Skills & Competencies:
- Superior interpersonal, relationship, and conflict resolution skills, along with sound problem-solving, judgment, and decision-making;
- Proven experience collaborating with diverse groups, from scientists and technical experts to Indigenous peoples and communities;
- Strategically-minded, with strong management capability and sensitivity to organizational dynamics;
- Possess a high-level of integrity, values, and ethics as well as the ability to adapt to complex and changing environments;
- Highly-motivated, independent, dedicated, and organized, with experience working independently in a demanding role with significant responsibilities and accountabilities;
- Experience with building and managing key relationships with external and internal stakeholders across a multitude of organizational levels;
- Knowledge of various computer and social media applications;
- Knowledge of data collection and management software (e.g. Airtable, Excel, Survey Monkey, etc.);
- Knowledge of web development platforms, social media, and digital promotion;
- Awareness of applicable privacy and data security laws.
Please email your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
We encourage qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodation, to apply to join our team. Please advise if you require accommodation during the application process.
This position will be open until filled.
Interviews will be held virtually for qualified candidates. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.