SUMMER STUDENT JOBS
Summer Staff Needed!
TRACKS Program Instructor and Curriculum Developer Positions, July 2nd – August 31st 2018
Title: TRACKS Outreach Program Instructor and Curriculum Developer
Type: summer jobs / summer student positions
Organization: TRACKS Youth Program
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Work Term: 8 weeks
Status: Work delivering and developing workshops and other programming as needed.
Wage: $14.00-15.50/hour, up to 30 hours/week
Reporting to: Outreach and Education Coordinator
Number of positions: 3
TRACKS is a growing initiative developed in partnership with the Indigenous Environmental Studies and Sciences (IESS) Program at Trent University and the Kawartha World Issues Centre. We take an Indigenous-and-Environmental approach to science education, delivering both free programming with First Nations and urban Indigenous community partners as well as a series of fee-for-service camps and workshops for both Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth. TRACKS is a mentorship-based youth outreach program which aims to:
- Provide opportunities for Indigenous youth of all ages to engage with math and science in meaningful, culturally responsive and educationally stimulating ways, and to promote Indigenous knowledges as key perspectives within approaches to science
- Positively impact and work to reverse the current trend of underrepresentation of Indigenous students pursuing studies in science-related fields at the senior secondary and post-secondary levels by providing access to role models and mentors and fostering long-lasting relationships with communities and with families
- Create and deliver unique, fun, educational, and hands-on experiential programming in an informal setting for both Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth in Peterborough and surrounding areas, promoting different ways of engaging with science and cross-cultural conversations that will help all youth consider new ways of knowing and build relationships to themselves, each other, and the land.
We are seeking full-time Program Instructors and Curriculum Developers for our Summer season (July 2nd - August 31st).
- Participate in mandatory staff training upon hiring, including on-the-job mentorship learning
- Keep accurate records and fulfill all mandatory administrative tasks associated with employment, record keeping, evaluation and reporting
- Maintain regular office hours in communication with Coordinators
- Troubleshoot and ensure smooth operation of programs
- Take responsibility for maintaining inventory and occasionally sourcing and creating new materials
- Assist with ongoing development and revising of workshops
- Assist with the development of curriculum tailored to different learning styles and age groups
- Assist in the development and delivery of a social media and outreach communications plan
- Implement outreach activities, particularly summer workshops and day camps
- Travel to communities to deliver workshops and outreach events
- Deliver educational curriculum in a fun and innovative manner, while engaging participants in hands-on science, math and traditional knowledge activities
- Other duties as assigned by Outreach and Education Coordinator and other TRACKS Coordinators
Required Skills and Qualities
- Basic computer skills such as word processing, email communication and social media platforms
- Background in environmental science/studies, math, or other science discipline is an asset
- Experience working in/with Indigenous communities
- Experience with Indigenous cultural knowledge/awareness
- Experience working in classrooms, summer camps and/or youth programs
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Strong teamwork and ability to collaborate with others
- Reliable and respectful communication towards coworkers and supervisors
- Excellent people skills and a friendly and positive attitude
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Must be willing to travel occasionally
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, with some evening and weekend hours
- Indigenous youth with strong cultural background are especially encouraged to apply
- Absolutely must have experience working with children and a strong sense of leadership
TRACKS strives for equity in its hiring and specifically welcomes applications from all qualified candidates including those experiencing marginalization, including women, people with disabilities, people of colour, Indigenous people (including First Nation, Metis, Inuit and non-status), those identifying as two-spirit or LGBTQ, parents and caregivers, and those dealing with adversity in their lives. We commit to making reasonable accommodations for those needing additional support, as much as possible within the expectations and requirements of this position.
Indigenous applicants will be given special consideration as we strive to honour Indigenous knowledge and strengthen Indigenous leadership within our program.
- Valid driver?s license and access to vehicle an asset
- Science instructional experience and lab and field skills considered an asset
- All candidates must provide references
- Successful candidates will submit a police / criminal background check prior to employment
Canada Summer Jobs Qualifications
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Must have been registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Must intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- Must be a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
- Must be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations
Application and further information:
Please submit in one document with title in the format of LASTNAME_Outreach.
- your resume
- a cover letter
- contact information for three references (at least two being past employers)
- and/or any questions, to
to Madison Laurin, Operations Director, at email@example.com . Please use the subject line LASTNAME_Outreach. Phone calls can be directed to 705-748-1011, ex. 6381
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application will remain open until positions are filled with the expectation of July 2nd start date.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.