Home | Job Postings
SUMMER JOBS & STUDENT JOBS
Position: Watershed Monitoring Technician
Type: summer job / age 30 & under
Organization: Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority
Location: Port Hope, Ontario
1 Position Available
July 6th to August 28th, 2020
35 Hours per Week
$15.00 per hour wage
Working as part of the Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority’s (GRCA) Watershed Services team, the Watershed Monitoring Technician will be responsible for watershed monitoring data collection and agricultural stewardship program assistance.
- These positions are restricted to youth 15-30 years of age on the first day of employment
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- Must be a returning student or recent graduate of a post-secondary program in environmental science, environmental technology, earth sciences or a related discipline
- Must have a valid Province of Ontario driver’s license is required, and GRCA will obtain a 3-year uncertified driver’s abstract of the successful candidate upon hiring
Summary of Tasks
- Calibrate tipping bucket rain gauges
- Measure stream flows for baseflow studies and to develop rating curves for gauging stations
- Measure groundwater levels at provincial groundwater monitoring wells
- Collect surface water quality samples and prepare them for lab analysis
- Liaise with the agricultural community to facilitate collection of farm field soil samples and verify farmland erosion potential mapping
- Keep accurate and organized records of site visits and data collected
- Perform data entry, quality control and analysis using Excel spreadsheets
- Maintain monitoring sites by clearing vegetation, painting and installing signage
- Assist in other program areas when needed (e.g. fisheries, invasive species etc.)
Summary of Qualifications
- Knowledge of monitoring equipment and techniques for collecting water and soils data
- Experience with Windows based computer operating systems and Microsoft Office software
- Team player with strong organization, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Willing to work outdoors and in adverse environmental conditions
- Experience working in the agricultural community is an asset.
- Must be able to work safely in accordance with the GRCA Health and Safety Policy
Please send a cover letter and resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications no later than May 31st, 2020 to:
Mr. Mike Smith
Water Resource Technician
Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority
2216 County Rd 28
Port Hope, ON L1A 3V8
The Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: May 20 2020