Home | Job Postings
FALL STUDENT JOBS
Position: Intergenerational Garden Coordinator
Type: fall job / fall student position
Hours: 20 hrs/wk, Sept 1 – Dec 15
Organization: Hastings Community Centre
Location: Vancouver BC
Overview & Description
- Assist Food & Garden Coordinator with facilitation of workshops for all ages (kids to seniors), pop-up markets, and Community Work Days
- Facilitate a newly established intergenerational garden program between seniors and families in the garden space
- Plan and facilitate environmental, food, and garden workshops with the assistance of the Food & Garden Coordinator; including overseeing ongoing weekly programs such as Garden Crew and School Garden Days in partnership with A.R. Lord Elementary school.
- Oversee and manage maintenance of the garden space including: soil prep, overwintering beds, seed starting, planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, composting, and food storage
- Assist Food & Garden Coordinator with organization, training, and management of volunteers
- Develop and care for the garden – plan and plant seedlings, coordinate watering schedule, maintain plant care throughout season
- Planning and execute seeding, harvesting, and food storage.
- Laborious tasks such as putting up fences, weeding, bed shaping, shoveling etc .
- Assist in planning and building the garden beds (including ordering seed, compost, and tools)
- Weigh and record harvest quantities. Compost food waste from the kitchen.
Qualifications, Skills, and Expectations
- In order to be eligible for this program, hired youth must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30 (inclusive)
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person as defined by the immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be legally entitled to work according to any provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Have been registered as a student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Working towards a degree related to urban agriculture, permaculture, environmental studies, horticulture etc. an asset
- Other experience (i.e. Home gardening) considered as well, with proof of knowledge
- Experience in gardening or farming, specifically with fruits and vegetables
- Great people skills and a passion for sharing knowledge about gardening with others
- Fun and positive outlook
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions, physically fit for gardening (bending over, weeding, etc.) able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Some personal gardening clothing and tools may be required
Contract Term: Sep 1, 2019 – Dec 15, 2019
*We encourage applicants from underrepresented or marginalized communities to apply.
Please send resume and cover letter for Food and Garden Coordinator Shayna Huang, RD at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday August 21st, 2019.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Aug 14 2019