Position Title: Program Manager - Climate Change and Sustainability (CCS)
Position Term & Type: Full time; Term position with possibility of renewal
Immediate Supervisor: Deputy Director
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Estimated Start Date: June 1, 2017
Application Deadline: April 30, 2017
Language profile: Fluency in English and Spanish (Essential)
ParlAmericas is the network of the national legislatures of the 35 member states of the Organization of American States (OAS). Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, we serve as an independent forum for parliamentarians of the Americas and the Caribbean dedicated to cooperative political dialogue and participation in the inter-American system. Since 2001, ParlAmericas has created a supportive professional community for parliamentarians through regional forums, training opportunities, year-round discussions, and follow-up actions.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director and in close collaboration with team members, the CCS Program Manager is primarily responsible for managing and expanding ParlAmericas’ programming in the area of Climate Change and Sustainability.
ParlAmericas is a small, dynamic, open-concept office environment, requiring good communication and close collaboration among all ParlAmericas staff. Program delivery will require occasional international travel and some irregular work hours.
- Ensure the effective implementation of CCS related programming in accordance with ParlAmericas policies and Donor/Partner expectations and requirements.
- Coordinate the ParlAmericas Parliamentary Network on Climate Change (PNCC-ParlAmericas) , maintaining regular communications with the executive committee working group and developing an effective feedback mechanism for Parliamentarian input into related programming.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager – Donor Relations, the Director General, and the PNCC Executive Committee, secure alternative funding to expand ParlAmericas` Climate Change and Sustainability programming through the development of new projects and strategic initiatives, and by preparing and/or contributing to the preparation of funding proposals.
- Assume leadership for the execution of designated program activities (training sessions, conferences, missions and inter-parliamentary meetings), including the development of activity implementation plans, identifying and liaising with partner organizations, liaising with host parliaments, overseeing content and agenda development, and managing activity expenditures within established budgets in accordance with ParlAmericas procurement and finance procedures.
- Coordinate the drafting and/or development of designated program related publications.
- Monitor designated program outputs and outcomes and work in collaboration with the Program Management team to develop and implement a rigorous monitoring and evaluation strategy to measure impact and results.
- Contribute to the preparation of ParlAmericas’ annual work plan and progress reports for the board of directors and donors.
- Assist in the financial management of designated projects and program components, including budget preparation, cash-flow management and reporting.
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of partnerships with regional and international organizations and agencies, including the identification of external resources to support ParlAmericas’ CCS programming.
- Support team members and take on other tasks and duties as required for the delivery of ParlAmericas programming
- Subject matter expertise related to climate change, environment, and sustainable development issues with respect to the regional and international agenda, with special attention to legislative action.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Spanish; working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, an asset
- Relevant professional experience in project development and fund sourcing related to climate change and sustainability programming.
- Minimum of a Graduate university degree in a relevant field
- Minimum 4 years relevant professional experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team using initiative and judgment
- Ability to deliver assignments under short deadlines and balance multiple activities and demands in a politicized atmosphere
- Availability for travel abroad when required
- Experience integrating gender equality considerations into CCS work, a strong asset
- Eligible to work in Canada
Please send your C.V. and cover letter in English, and a writing sample in Spanish, no later than Sunday, April 30, 2017 to:
ParlAmericas is an equal-opportunity employer, offering competitive compensation and a stimulating, professional work environment. Visit us at http://www.parlamericas.org.
 The Parliamentary Network on Climate Change (PNCC) was created in 2016 as a joint initiative between ParlAmericas and Parlatino with the following objectives:
- Serve as a hemispheric forum for legislative work and for the exchange of best practices to mitigate the environmental, social and economic effects of climate change, prioritizing the phenomena associated with global warming;
- Encourage the application of a gender lens and the engagement of citizens, particularly the groups that are most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, in the development of legislation and the supervision of governmental and parliamentary policies on climate change;
- Follow up on the legislative actions and efforts taken to materialize the intended nationally determined contributions (INDC) in the periods between the Conferences of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- Encourage cooperation between parliaments and government agencies in the development and implementation of innovative policies to combat climate change and in measuring progress;
- Promote international cooperation to curb climate change through parliamentary diplomacy.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.