Position: Site Steward
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Bayview Ave., Toronto, Ontario
Evergreen Brick Works is a community hub and gathering place; a place to connect with nature and engage in the broad array of programs Evergreen offers. The Site Steward plays a key role in these functions, helping to ensure the success of Evergreen Brick Works day-to-day operations maintenance, cleaning and supporting on-site, year-round activities, in a team-focused environment.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Site Steward is responsible for the day-to-day delivery of property management services including cleanliness, maintenance, safety and security, across the Evergreen Brick Works site. Site Stewards provide hands on support to the Programming and Events teams.
- Maintain all physical assets including buildings, grounds, parking lots, sheds, washrooms, tools and equipment.
- Deliver established standard operating procedures for day-to-day site operations as they relate to opening, closing, safety and other policies and protocols
- Maintain storage spaces and workshop organization and inventory; collect assets from across the site after events and programs on a regular basis.
- Work with a broad range of tools and equipment including power tools, light vehicles and occasionally working from heights.
- Collaborate with staff in the set up and delivery of Evergreen’s programs and events, as required.
- Support the property management team, by participating in ongoing site fit-out and upgrades and assisting the building operator with preventive maintenance and other relevant duties.
- Assist with tenant move-in and move-out preparation, accept Evergreen deliveries and facilitate tenant’s deliveries and contractors’ needs.
- Seasonal (winter) work including snow removal, de-icing, and assisting the ice rink team in the preparation and maintenance of the ice rink and use of the Zamboni (scraping and flooding) and edger.
- Promote a culture of safety by complying with, and actively supporting, Evergreen’s policies and Health and Safety requirements.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Facilities team, including Site Cleaners and Site Porters
- Follow established energy, water and waste management policies and programs.
- Provide onsite support in the event of an emergency such as flood including flood preparation, evacuation and clean-up activities as needed.
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
You have the following qualifications:
- Experience using hand tools and doing small repairs
- Previous property management experience an asset
- Electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills are assets
- First Aid, CPR, WHIMS, Forklift, Bobcat, Zamboni and Valid G Driver’s license are assets
- Supervised by: Reports to: Facilities Manager
- This position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto, and requires on-the-ground presence
- Indoors and outdoors, inclement weather
- Working with vulnerable populations at times
- Shift work with average of 37.5 hours per week including weekends
- Evergreen Brick Works is located in a flood plain of the Lower Don River and is prone to occasional flooding. Under these conditions, employees may be asked to participate in clean-up activities.
- CSA approved Safety Shoes/Boots are required
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Able to lift heavy objects, shovel snow, operate light equipment (e.g. snow blowers, pressure washers)
- Able to climb and work from heights
- Full time, hourly
- Target Hire Rate: $18.00 - $19.00 hourly
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities
Application Close Date: Monday, June 6th, 2022. Please note we will be screening applications as they are received and candidate may be contacted before the closing date.
To apply, visit our Career Page | Site Steward
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.