PARKS, FORESTRY, HORTICULTURE, NATURAL ASSETS
NEW, Full-time Permanent Opportunity
Position: Assistant Supervisor, Parks and Natural Assets
Municipality: Loyalist Township
Location: Amherstview/Loyalist Township, near Kingston, Ontario
Why Choose Loyalist for Your Next Great Career Opportunity? Loyalist Township is committed to developing leaders who are passionate about making a difference. Environment sustainability is a big part of our focus as we plan for extensive community growth and this newly created position supports this through their leadership of the Township’s parks and natural assets portfolio. We support leaders to grow their strengths in managing others, and together we will reach our collective full potential as an employer of choice. We offer excellent pay and benefits including a defined benefit pension plan, OMERS. Service to our community, and to each other is what we do.
Loyalist is a growing community of over 17,000 residents situated on the north shore of Lake Ontario between the Town of Greater Napanee and the City of Kingston. The Township is a blend of rural and urban areas with a number of smaller hamlets throughout, including its very own island community, accessible by ferry. It is an outdoor-lovers dream, with a Great Lake on the doorstep and beautiful Canadian shield lakes and provincial parks minutes away to the north. Next door is the historic City of Kingston, which boasts an amazing downtown core right on Lake Ontario, full of excellent restaurants and night life offerings. We are also connected to large urban centres by the 401, with the GTA two hours to the west and Ottawa two hours to the east.
What do You Offer Loyalist as a Natural Leader? You are a keen and positive person, who loves to support others to be the best they can be. You are a natural leader with a capability to motivate and nurture teams, while also effectively having tough conversations as soon as challenges become apparent. You have a blend of experience in parks, forestry, horticulture, natural assets and sports field turf maintenance. You value making a difference for the public and contributing to a great team environment. Your technical problem-solving allows you to brainstorm solutions to complex situations with your staff. You value making a difference for the public and contributing to a great team environment where you work collectively to “get the job done”. You are a champion and advocate of health and safety and believe in the value of taking the time to do it right the first time.
- File No: 2022-41 Assistant Supervisor, Parks and Natural Assets
- Hours: 40 per week
- Salary: $80,412 - $92,747 ($38.66 – $44.59 per hour)
- Closing: August 14, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
A detailed job description is below. Please submit your cover letter and resume using the online form by selecting the apply now button:
APPLY: APPLY NOW!
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
POSITION TITLE: ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR - PARKS AND NATURAL ASSETS
DEPARTMENT: COMMUNITY & CUSTOMER SERVICES
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISOR OF PARKS AND FACILITIES
CATEGORY: PERMANENT, FULL-TIME, MANAGEMENT
UPDATED: NEW, APRIL 2022
This role is an integral part of service delivery to the residents of Loyalist Township and contributes to the achievement of our Strategic Plan. It is key to the overall quality maintenance of parks and sports fields as well as horticulture, arboriculture, and natural assets.
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership support to the Supervisor of Parks and Facilities. The Assistant Supervisor - Parks and Natural Assets provides day-to-day supervision, and technical guidance to division staff engaged in parks and horticulture operations in accordance with Township policy, recognized turf and park practices, operations and maintenance and divisional programs. This position is partially responsible for evening and weekend leadership support as a member of the leadership team.
Minimum Qualifications – education & experience:
- Post-secondary diploma in Recreation and Parks Technician, Recreation and Leisure, Arboriculture, Horticulture or a related field or combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Three (3) years’ leadership experience in a parks and/or turf maintenance role.
- Qualifications and experience that would be considered an asset:
- Parks and Recreation Management Certificate, PRO
- Horticulture Technician Certificate
- Natural Turf course, Sports Turf Canada
- Certified Grounds Technician (CGT) (formerly Certified Parks Technician – CPT)
- Experience performing any related duties such as: grounds maintenance, arboriculture, horticulture, ecosystem restoration, snow removal, playground inspection, chainsaw use and safety certificate, lawn care and landscaping.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to motivate, recognize, and supervise staff in a respectful, fair, and consistent manner.
- Motivation and ability to develop further supervisory and leadership skills and participate in continuing education for succession planning.
- Ability to implement and complete projects independently or through supervising teams, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to oversee individual division staff and work crews, in a unionized setting, to ensure safe and productive work is performed, through adherence to policies and procedures.
- Good understanding and knowledge of horticulture arboriculture, parks, and sports field operations and maintenance.
- Solid understanding of the MTO’s Book 7, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Pesticide Act, and other applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and competently operate various types of equipment including, but not limited to, line trimmers, rototillers, brush chippers, backpack sprayers, chainsaws, chippers, agricultural tractors, loader, rotary mowers, post pounders, leaf blowers, sod cutters, and small tools in a safe and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance requirements, procedures required; awareness of asset management principles and procedures is an asset.
- Customer service and public relations skills, the ability to be professional and courteous when interacting with the other staff and the public at role-model level.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to write reports, and maintain and communicate data and information.
- Proficient time management and record keeping skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated proficiency with PerfectMind, CityWide, and iCity, considered an asset.
- Self-motivated with the ability to stay current in knowledge and skills.
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to make sound and timely decisions under stressful conditions, including the ability to conduct quality research and analysis.
- Familiarity with principles and practices of public administration, including budgeting, purchasing and the maintenance of public records is an asset.
Front Line Supervision
Responsible for supervision of the division’s front line staff.
- Support talent management processes, training and development, and health and safety protection for the assigned team.
- Duties include assigning work and equipment, monitoring performance and addressing performance concerns, addressing attendance concerns, approving timesheets, problem solving and addressing complaints, monitoring training requirements and ensuring appropriate training is provided.
- Investigate, with others, all employee/equipment accidents, equipment/property damage to determine root cause(s) and make recommendations on corrective actions and assist with reporting and investigating all incidents involving personal injury.
- Responsible as a Supervisor for health and safety, including enforcing health and safety within requirements of legislation and policies, regularly holding safety talks and recording these, acting on reported hazards, and ensuring a safe and clean environment is maintained.
- Responsible to maintain current knowledge of safe operation for each piece of equipment that is used by staff, and be familiar with all the specific safety devices and procedures for specific equipment, to ensure staff are trained in the safe use of equipment.
- Operations - day-to-day direction regarding parks operations, horticulture program, tree program, natural assets, and winter sidewalk operations.
- Maintenance - day-to-day direction regarding parks maintenance activities inspection duties, as assigned.
- Analyze maintenance issues and problems encountered, evaluate alternative solutions, make recommendations on courses of action, and engage Supervisor for complex decision making.
- Assist with maintenance of Township infrastructure, as required and as instructed by the Supervisor of Parks and Facilities.
- Assist in the planning, organizing, coordinating of regular parks, sports fields operations, activities, special events.
- Assist with coordination of responses to weather events, infrastructure, or asset failures.
- Assist with policy and procedure development, capital works projects, planning, budget tracking, administration, and operational direction of the Township’s parks programs.
- Maintains frequent communication with the Roads Supervisor or designate regarding Minimum Maintenance Standard and winter control operations with respect to sidewalks snow clearing operations.
- Monitor material and supply volumes and prepare purchase orders and requisitions.
- Participate in project planning including development of manpower, materials, and costing estimates.
- Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other documents, and maintain up-to-date and accurate data and records.
- For Township parks, ensure locates are obtained and locate procedures are followed by staff.
- Provide good customer service and address service enquiries/complaints, through direct contact.
- Liaise with governmental and regulatory officials, Township staff, private and community organizations, developers, contractors, and others encountered in the course of duties.
- In the case of an emergency, may be required to operate equipment.
- Provide services to both internal and external customers in a timely and courteous manner.
- Work effectively as part of a team and independently, demonstrating good interpersonal skills, tact, and diplomacy.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Internal: daily communication with Parks and Facilities staff/supervisor/manager, frequent communication with Operators, Recreation Attendants, Horticulturalist, Roads Supervisor during winter months, and occasional communication with other Township employees, human resources, union representatives.
External: residents, contractors/vendors, external seminar and course providers, external trainers, and consultants.
- Normal office environment working conditions apply when completing administrative tasks. May be seated for periods of 2-3-hours.
- Frequent outdoor work in various and changing weather conditions that include but is not limited to snow, rain, hot and cold temperatures, and wind.
- Ability to work shifts and respond after hours as needed. During the Summer season regular support after hours for parks operations is required.
- Occasionally may be required to attend meetings, programs, seminars, events which may take place at differently facilities, requiring travel.
- Occasional moderate or heavy physical exertion may be required.
- Work may include locations with exposure to sensory elements including waste materials and smells.
Note: The foregoing is intended to outline the general description of duties and responsibilities for this position. It is not intended, nor should it be interpreted as a complete description. Loyalist Township reserves the right to amend this position description at any time.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.