Position: Toronto Program Manager
Organization: Outward Bound Canada
Immediate Supervisor: Ontario Director
Location: Toronto, ON
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Toronto Center operates year-round programming based out of Evergreen Brick Works as well as the surrounding GTA and Southwestern Ontario. These programs are delivered as overnight expeditions as well as single-day workshops to a variety of students with varying degrees of experience in the outdoors.
The Toronto Program Manager will manage Toronto’s employees, program site areas, and programs, including course administration, course planning, programming, delivery, logistics, risk oversight, supervision, and evaluation. In addition, the Program Manager provides support to instructors, client, partners, and all other organizational relationships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Hiring and on-boarding: creating job descriptions, posting positions, providing employees/volunteers/interns/placement and coop students with orientation and training, providing employees with contracts in conjunction with HR. Approximately 10-20 direct reports.
- Ensures the Toronto Centre workspace is compliant with Health and Safety standards in collaboration with HR.
- Monitors and tracks employee competencies, feedback, and evaluations.
- Provides direct customer care for participants and their families/teachers/agencies.
- Works with team to schedule on-call service, manage evacuations and other field responses.
- Works with Director in the training and mentoring of employees.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of current industry trends and standards.
- Leadership: participates in national OBC team meetings, providing regional leadership and representation.
- Supervises and maintains contractor relationships; i.e. Evergreen Brick Works and City of Toronto.
- Ensures that the Toronto Centre is a positive, welcoming, harmonious and constructive environment.
- Ensures that Toronto Centre staff are informed of all relevant programmatic and operational systems and instructional duties.
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation and monitoring with staff.
- Manages instructional employees, ensuring high quality and appropriately risk managed OBC program delivery.
- Logistics: ensuring high quality and efficient logistical systems which includes transportation and equipment systems.
- Works in conjunction with Director to enhance and develop urban programming.
- Creates, monitors and maintains: unique programmatic designs, program implementation and evaluation.
- Ensures courses and programs are run in accordance with risk management protocols and best practices, and students are briefed as to expectations and safety requirements.
- Achieves the objectives of the OBC National Risk Management Policy and acts as the Regional Safety Officer participating in national Safety Committee meetings monthly.
- Addresses and facilitates all incident reporting processes.
- Provides risk management briefings and de-briefings to employees.
- Facilitates and monitors logistics, food, transportation, admissions, route planning, staffing, emergency response and curriculum plans to maintain appropriate risk management and oversight of safety systems.
- In times of need: field ready to replace a staff member on course.
- 5 years of experience in the outdoor and experiential field including previous supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience with both formal and informal curriculum development, lesson planning, program delivery, and instructing.
- Proficient in behaviour management, crisis intervention and problem-solving.
- Experience with tripping practices and principles.
- Understanding and application of OBC policies and philosophies.
- Experience in adventure and experiential educational module delivery.
- Focus on providing high levels of customer service.
- Ability to be a significant contributor to several small teams.
- Highly organized, computer and social media proficient.
- High level of mentorship, professionalism, and follow-through.
- Experience with Smartsheet, SalesForce databases and Microsoft Office programs.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR)
- Bronze Cross / NLS
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License?Level II Ropes Course Instructor certification or greater (or willing to certify)
- Paddle Canada or ORCKA certification (or willing to certify)
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: environmental science, education, recreation, therapy (an asset)
- Ontario Certified Teacher (an asset)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Full-time, year-round position
READY TO APPLY?
Application deadline: Open until filled
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database:
Please identify the position as “Toronto Program Manager” when you apply.
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.