Position: Outdoor Education After School Care Program Coordinator
Company: Western Educational Adventures Inc
Location: Victoria, BC
Western Educational Adventures (WEA) is looking for a permanent outdoor education based after school program coordinator to run our outdoor after school care program. This position will start 1 week before the start of school September 2020.
WEA runs outdoor education programming for families, children and adults. We are currently looking for someone with a strong background in the outdoors and after school care industry with strong marketing, management and supervisory experience.
Important items to note before applying:
- It is important to read every bit of this posting before applying. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Between our other positions and programs, there is the possibility of year-round, full time permanent work for the right person.
- A criminal record check should be submitted with your application. If offered a contract, documentation such as a criminal record check, must be submitted within 30 days of signing your contract.
- Copies of all certifications currently held must be submitted prior to receiving an offer.
- Applications may still be considered if lacking certain certifications. If successful, a contract will be conditionally offered based on certifications being completed within a certain time frame. Typically, all certifications must be completed at least 120 days prior to the first day of the new coordinator’s contract. Proof of registration for missing certifications and a contingency plan must be in place prior to being offered a conditional contract.
WEA is one of the only outdoor education companies out there that is for profit. We focus on providing our participants with the best experience possible. We make sure our kids come with the proper gear and our staff are experienced and passionate about what they do. You will get the chance to develop your leadership skills, outdoor skills, outdoor experience and organizational skills as well as opportunity for future advancement.
Please note, this is a lifestyle opportunity more than a job. Only apply if you are passionate about making a difference in children’s lives in an outdoor environment.
Many organizations have young, inexperienced staff and rely heavily on policies and procedures. While WEA has top-notch risk management policies and procedures in place, it understands that it is impossible to plan for all potential situations when in the wilderness. WEA only hires outdoor childcare professionals that are experienced, certified, and demonstrate excellent judgment. Our professionals are:
- Passionate about working with people, especially children
- Passionate about the outdoors
- Passionate about teaching/instructing
- Believe in educating children outside is the primary motivation for working with us
- Performs their functions in a highly professional manner within the scope of their training/certifications while following WEA’s standards and policies.
- Understand, respect and appreciation of the natural environment including but not limited to weather, nature identification, no trace camping, etc.
- Socially aware
- Able to take initiative
- Highly independent
- Highly responsible
- Able to work without direction or supervision for long periods of time
- Excellent communicators
- Able to receive and learn from feedback
- Willing to learn, grow and develop
- Flexible and versatile
- Excellent at managing time
- Detail oriented
- Highly adaptable
- Excellent at problem solving
- Strong leaders
- Able to supervise other instructors/guides
- Excellent at taking care of themselves in all situations.
- Can asses group energy levels, weather, conditions, etc.
This contract requires you to be able to perform various functions and duties, some of which are listed below:
- Supervise, hire and oversee staff
- Handle with office and admin tasks
- Manage registrations
- Deal with parents and families
- Manage weather conditions and make operational risk management decisions
- Supervise children, adults and families in various indoor, outdoor and wilderness settings
- Supervise participants overnight
- Supervise participants in adverse weather conditions
- Teach participants about no-trace camping, nature, weather, etc.
- Drive/transport and supervise children in leased, rented or owned company vehicles to and from various locations on Vancouver Island
- Attend required training sessions
- Keep certifications current
- Facilitate various outdoor activities such as kayaking, canoeing, swimming, archery, hiking, orienteering, geocaching
- Facilitate unstructured exploration time in the wilderness
- Cook meals and/or assist participants with meal preparation
- Clean facilities, vehicles, etc.
- Organize, supervise or oversee certain programs/activities
- Provide constructive feedback for supervisors, other staff and programs
- Facilitate games and other activities
- Significant experience working with children, youth and adults
- Strong recreational background, experience/interest in the outdoors
- Significant childcare & childcare management experience
- Understanding of childcare licensing rules and regulations
- Clear criminal record check
- 40-hr Wilderness First Aid
- Food safe certification
- Bronze Cross certification
- BC Class 4 Unrestricted drivers license
- Clean driving record/abstract and insurance history (only necessary if you have your class 4, 2 or 1)
Applicants may apply with proof of registration for missing certifications.
- Class 2 or class 1 drivers license
- 80 Hour wilderness first aid
- National Lifeguard certification
- Kayak or canoe guiding certification
- Kayak or canoe Paddle Canada or other skills certification
- Top rope climbing instructor or higher
- Experience working with children, youth and adults in outdoor/wilderness settings
$28-$35/hr depending on experience and certifications.
Term, Dates & Hours:
- Term: Early September 2020 to end of June 2021
- Dates: Monday - Friday with holidays and early dismissal days off.
- Program Hours: 14:30 to 18:00
- Admin Hours: 2 hrs/day working
- Total Daily Hours: 5.5
Positions are being filled on an on-going basis. For your application to be considered, we must receive the following:
- Cover letter
- Copies of all relevant certifications and documents required above
- A minimum of 3 references
Please apply by clicking the "Apply" button on our website and completing the application form. https://www.westernadventures.ca/careers.htm
Let us know if you have any further questions and thank you for your interest!
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.