Position: Trails Coordinator
Municipality: Township of Algonquin Highlands
Location: Algonquin Highlands/Frost Centre/Carnarvon, Haliburton Highlands, Ontario
The Township of Algonquin Highlands Parks, Recreation and Trails Department is seeking one (1) individual to fulfill the following full-time position:
(1) Trails Coordinator/By-Law Officer 40hrs/week – this position will start as soon as possible.
Reports to: Manager of Parks, Recreation and Trails.
Job Description (click here for detailed job description)
- Oversees the daily/weekly/annual work planning, project implementation, staff supervision and maintenance operations of the Haliburton Highlands Water Trails Canoe Routes, Algonquin Highlands Hiking Trails, Frost Centre Ski Trails;
- Acts as a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer patrolling interior lakes and forest access roads checking area campsite/trail conditions and campers for valid permits. Conducts investigations, compiles evidence and court documents, attends court as required;
- Responsible for the maintenance oversight and record keeping of all program related equipment, vehicles and infrastructure;
- Operate and maintain pickup trucks, motor boats, canoes, UTV’s, snowmobiles, small excavating equipment, various hand tools and power tools;
- Responsible for the oversight of program related marketing and promotion, advertising using print, online and social media;
- Assists with the recruitment and training of staff;
- Oversees camping permits/reservation program and related software;
- Oversees and implements equipment rental programs for canoes, skis and snowshoes;
- Builds and maintains hiking trails, portages and cross country ski trails based on industry standard and emerging trends;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Post-secondary education in Outdoor Adventure Tourism, Parks & Recreation or related field/experience;
- Municipal Law Enforcement Officer Certification is an asset or ability to obtain;
- First Aid/CPR, Wilderness First Aid/First Responder is an asset or ability to obtain;
- Wilderness Survival Training and Orienteering is an asset or ability to obtain. Comfort navigating and leading work teams in the backcountry using map, compass and GPS;
- Experience and education in building and maintaining various types of trails. Sustainable Trail Builders Certificate is an asset or ability to obtain;
- Chainsaw Operator Certificate is an asset or ability to obtain. With experience and comfort in felling trees;
- ORCKA Canoeing Certification. Trip leader certification is an asset or ability to obtain;
- NLS Swim Certification. Bronze Cross is an asset or ability to obtain;
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience including supervisory experience;
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills;
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter with an outgoing, positive attitude who is dedicated to improvement initiatives and thrives in high pressure situations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs and other computer software;
- Pleasure craft operator card. Must be very comfortable on and around the water in various types of boats and adverse weather;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS;
- Must possess a valid class “G” driver’s license for the Province of Ontario with a clean drivers abstract;
Hours of Work: Primarily Wednesday to Sunday 8:30am to 5:00pm. Working on weekends and most statutory holidays is mandatory. Shoulder season schedules (March-April and Oct-Dec) vary to allow weekends off.
Location of Work: This position is based out of 20130 Hwy 35. However work will commence daily at 1095 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands, Ontario K0M 1J1.
Remuneration: $29.43 - $33.12 per hour.
Benefit entitlements are per Township of Algonquin Highlands benefit package and OMERS pension plan.
Persons are invited to inquire and apply in confidence. Please quote job title and submit your covering letter and resume to:
Chris Card – Manager. Parks, Recreation and Trails Department
We will accept applications until this position is filled. You are encouraged to review the detailed job description. By e-mail: email@example.com
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.