Position: Toronto Centre Course Director
Immediate Supervisor: Toronto Program Manager
Organization: Outward Bound Canada
Location: Brick Works, Toronto, Ontario
Start date: May 4, 2020 – October 31, 2020
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Toronto Centre Course Director oversees the safety, quality, and educational effectiveness of all courses. Primary responsibilities include supervising and evaluating Instructors, managing technical student sites, scheduling staff team, and overseeing all logistical details of courses in the field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary link between program management and instructors.
- Oversight of Health and Safety.
- Assist in the adherence to the National Safety Policies and Standards and in the development of Local Operating Procedures and New Program Plans
- Run and oversee staff trainings according to individual, technical and educational skills
- Schedule staff team with Toronto Program Manager
- Handle emergency phone calls from the field, troubleshoot with field and staff, and coordinate field evacuations
- Manage program sites, serving as trainer and mentor
- Maintain professional presence and relations at sites, with outside agencies, and area agencies
- Thorough completion of all course planning tasks and general readiness prior to student arrival
- Oversee and manage entire course from course planning, implementation and wrap-up, ensuring completion of all course end paperwork
- Step into Instructor role as program needs dictate
- Issue and maintain program equipment
- Coordinate logistics as needed during busy times - such as supporting sites, driving, and packing food
- Reconnaissance of new course areas
- Supervise and provide additional training for interns, student teachers and support staff working with assigned courses
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Knowledge of OB programs and philosophy
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills
- Strong technical skills and working knowledge specific to rock climbing site supervision and instruction, sea kayaking, canoeing, backpacking, urban and short wilderness expeditions
- Demonstrated successful working relationships with peers and other management staff
- Effective trainer, able to accurately assess staff and teach to a variety of learners
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial zeal
- Able to smoothly and diplomatically manage diverse staff, creatively and effectively facilitating conflict if necessary
- Ability to manage more than one course at a time
- Ability to problem-solve, prioritize and manage multi-tasks successfully within tight timelines and high stress
- Strong and effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Demonstration of inclusive language
- Knowledge and experience with diverse populations and social justice is preferred
- Familiarity with GTA and GTA green-spaces
- Familiarity with Ontario wilderness expedition areas (asset)
- Three-five years as a field instructor with Outward Bound or similar program
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) & CPR-C
- Challenge Course Level II certification
- F-Class Driver’s License (or equivalent) with clean driver’s abstract
- Valid and Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Willing to work evening, weekends and share “on-call” responsibility
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: education, outdoor recreation (asset)
- Bronze Cross/NLS (asset)
- Other certifications including, but not limited to, canoeing, kayaking, and rock climbing (asset)
- Starting at $175 per diem
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database:
Please identify the position as “Toronto Center Course Director” when you apply.
Application deadline: January 5, 2020
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.