Job Title: Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre Coordinator
Organization: Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre
Location: Cowichan Bay, near Duncan BC
- Term: This is a one-year position to cover a maternity leave starting January 2020
- Hours: 21 - 22.5 hours/week
- Compensation: $20 -25/hr depending on experience
Background: The Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre is a non-profit educational interpretive centre in the Cowichan Estuary, a 400-hectare estuarine ecosystem. The Nature Centre offers programming for schools, youth and the general public, and summer science camps, focused on local watersheds, conservation and climate adaptation. We also engage the community in citizen science and ecosystem protection and restoration projects in the Cowichan and Koksilah Watersheds. In operation since 2012, the Centre is a registered charity with a volunteer Board of Directors.
Position Overview: The CENC Coordinator reports to and is supported by the CENC Board, including at its monthly meetings and with the Board Chair and Treasurer between meetings. A significant focus of this position currently is overseeing deliverables for the Centre’s Eco-Action grant on climate adaptation in the Cowichan and Koksilah Watersheds, in addition to coordinating educational programs, volunteers and Centre administration.
- Experience working in non-profit administration or coordination in either a volunteer or professional capacity;
- Experience working with a board of directors;
- Organizational and planning skills, ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects and teams of staff/volunteers;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, and work with a multitude of individuals and organizations;
- Flexibility, initiative, creativity and problem solving skills;
- Proficiency with MS Office including Excel, Word, Access, Publisher and PowerPoint;
- Ability to design and create simple and attractive posters and graphics;
- Experience with social media, online engagement and newsletter platforms such as MailChimp;
- Experience with donor management software, such as MS Dynamics, Salesforce, or Sumac;
- Website experience, preferably on a Wordpress platform; and
- Experience working within a budget.
Education, or experience with ecological restoration or citizen science, environmental science, environmental education or marine/coastal ecosystems, and competency in grant writing/editing would be additional assets.
Job Description/ Duties:
Nature Centre Eco Action Project
- Coordinate the Conserving & Protecting Cowichan Fresh Water for a Climate Resilient Future: Engagement & Action Project with the support of a project assistant;
- Meet with partners, build relationships and support them in workshop development and action project planning;
- Communicate about the project in person and via mainstream and social media;
- Create outreach materials, informational displays at the CENC and for events;
- Coordinate and assist in the delivery of workshops; and volunteer action projects;
- Ensure participant and outcome data is collected for project reporting; and
- Supervise the work of and coordinate timelines with the Eco Action Project Assistant.
Nature Centre Educational Programming and Projects
- Coordinate, support, and provide oversight to the CENC Education Contractor Team who provide the Centre’s school programs, including scheduling program bookings and volunteer support as needed;
- Manage Spring Break & Summer Camp registrations, coordinating and supporting the CENC summer camp leadership team (summer students) to plan and deliver Summer Camp programming;
- Assist in the development of program budgets so that programs & camps remain both accessible and income-generating;
- Support members of the CENC Education Contractor Team in developing new program offerings as interest, time and funding is available; and
- Ensure data is collected on program participation for annual reports & funding applications and reports.
Nature Centre Administration
- Manage CENC cash system and support the volunteer team in the operation of the CENC Gift Shop and volunteers to ensure appropriate processing of donations, sales and tracking procedures;
- Assist with financial procedures, records, reporting and do bank deposits;
- Manage billings for school and other CENC programs and bookings;
- Assist in the development and review of CENC budgets and manage expenditures within budget;
- Ensure maintenance of CENC supplies and equipment;
- Ensure phone calls, emails and general inquiries are responded to in a timely manner; and
- Maintain information systems including: ensuring collection of supporter and volunteer contact information and that this data is regularly entered into the database, as well as collecting monthly statistics for the annual report and fundraising.
Communications and Outreach:
- Update CENC website (Wordpress platform), including calendar of events as needed;
- Communicate with supporters and donors using MailChimp software, including creating periodic CENC updates /newsletters and donation requests:
- Post events and programs in community and local newspaper on-line calendars and on social media, send out media releases re: programs and events, and track earned media, keeping media contact list up-to-date; and
- Create posters, reports, slide shows and other graphic communications, including temporary displays as needed and as time allows.
Volunteer Recruitment, Coordination & Support
- Recruit, orient and train new volunteers, including with CENC systems and procedures;
- Ensure volunteer coverage for shifts for open hours and assistance with school programs;
- Support, communicate with and appreciate volunteers regularly, including volunteer appreciation events;
- Maintain and update volunteer communications systems and volunteer handbook as needed; and
- Maintain system to collect data on visitor numbers.
Fundraising events, grant writing, donor development and support
- Help coordinate and work with CENC volunteers on community fund-raising events, including creating event posters.
- Assist with grant writing and reports to funders, working in collaboration with the CENC Board and Chair;
- Assist in recruiting donor sponsorship of exhibits and displays;
- Help cultivate and support individual and corporate donors, including sending thank-you notes and receipts and recognizing donors on our website, at events and in other ways; and
- Maintain the donor database.
Exhibits and Display Maintenance
- Ensure maintenance of security systems, computer systems, telephone, internet and point of sale systems, notifying the appropriate tech, support team or the Board as needed.
- Ensure volunteers are trained on security systems, computer systems, telephone, internet and point of sale systems as needed.
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers to keep the centre clean and free of hazards.
- Monitor the need for building repairs, address issues as able and alert the volunteer maintenance team as needed, including ensuring the necessary supervision of volunteers and/or contractors.
How to Apply:
Ensure that your resume shows how your skills and experiences apply to the qualifications (above). Please submit your resume, cover letter and references via email by 11:59pm on Nov 21st, 2019
Email resume to Alicia Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: 2020 CENC Coordinator
Use this format for your resume filename: LastName_FirstName_Application_2020.
We thank all those who apply for their interest in our organization; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.