Position: Communications and Engagement Lead
Organization: Nova Scotia Nature Trust
Location: downtown Dartmouth, Halifax Regional Municipality (less than 1km from Alderney Ferry), Nova Scotia
Seeking a rewarding position with a charity with a positive, inspiring, good news mandate? Working for a small organization where your passion and talents make a big difference? Join the Nova Scotia Nature Trust team.
Help to protect Nova Scotia’s most special places, from towering old growth forests and pristine coastal wilderness, to habitat for endangered wildlife. The Nature Trust saves and stewards these special places for future generations, in partnership with landowners, local communities and enthusiastic volunteers all across the province. We provide opportunities for people to explore, experience and learn about the natural world and to take action in caring for our treasured natural legacy.
In anticipation of a bold new land conservation campaign, we seek a passionate communication leader to build momentum, energize, inspire and connect Nova Scotians to an unprecedented opportunity to protect wild places we all treasure.
Our Communications and Engagement Lead will provide leadership and creative execution for all communications, public relations and marketing. Your work will drive unprecedented philanthropy, land conservation achievements and volunteer engagement. And will help to achieve an historic campaign to double the Nature Trust’s protected areas by 2023.
Our Ideal Candidate
You are an experienced communications professional with an impressive track record in creating and implementing exceptional communications, marketing and public relations strategies.
You have a knack for telling simple, powerful stories that cut through the crowded media landscape. You find common ground that inspires and engages donors, partners and stakeholders in meaningful and rewarding ways. You are a relationship-builder, connecting people to our cause with heart, passion and integrity.
You love to dive in and get things done — turning around compelling copy quickly, enthusiastically pitching to journalists or advancing innovative marketing campaigns. You are digitally confident, highly creative and talented on a diversity of platforms.
You are enthusiastic, dynamic, ambitious, and results-driven. And most of all, you are passionate about nature and engaging people in the mission of protecting Nova Scotia’s wild places.
Position Description and Requirements
- Oversee and implement all aspects of communications, public relations and marketing for the Nature Trust including annual, campaign-specific and long-term plans
- Drive programming and initiatives that promote and amply the Nature Trust’s brand and profile and that generate unprecedented engagement and philanthropy
- Oversee activation/delivery of all related strategies and tactics
- Create all communications materials/content (fundraising appeals, donor reports, campaign cases, news, web content, press releases, publications)
- Plan and execute publicity/public relations initiatives
- Oversee media and public relations activities (media relations, press releases, events)
- Manage social media and digital content
- Implement marketing tactics
- Oversee design/creative work
- Work closely with and support the staff team and volunteers to maximize organizational impact and to drive engagement that meets fundraising targets and volunteer and land conservation goals
- Undertake regular analysis, evaluation and research, bringing fresh ideas and best practices to the Nature Trust’s communications, public relations and marketing
- Minimum six years of experience in communications/marketing/journalism (or related field with directly transferrable skills and experience)
- Relevant University or College degree
- Proven track record in developing, implementing and evaluating comprehensive, strategic and impactful multi-channel marketing, communications and public relations plans, strategies and tactics that achieve philanthropic and other organizational targets
- Proven ability to create engaging, persuasive communications and marketing resources tailored to key audiences and effective in driving/sustaining philanthropy
- Experience in media/public relations with a track record in landing top tier media/sustained profile
- Ability to understand complex issues, to synthesize large amounts of information, and develop clear, concise and compelling communications
- Exceptional written, telephone/online, and in-person communications skills
- Experience in crafting marketing, PR and media briefs that communicate strategic context and messaging objectives, as well as execution details needed to guide campaigns and projects
- Strong research and analytical skills
- High level of competence/comfort with technology, digital marketing and communication
- Keen interest and active knowledge of new technologies, social media and digital content/trends
- Competence in developing/monitoring social media and online platforms (FB, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, e-news, website)
- Proficient using design, content management and digital asset management software/apps
- Excellent time management and organization skills, able to manage multiple priorities, deliver projects efficiently and effectively, on time and on budget
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skills
- Proven ability to work effectively within a cross-departmental team and with external vendors
Key Personal Attributes
- Passionate about nature/belief in the Nature Trust’s mission
- Ambitious, with a roll-up your sleeves, results-driven, can-do attitude
- A strategic thinker who is able to prioritize well and maximize impact
- Exceptional ability to inspire and engage—donors, volunteers, staff team, media, partners
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Highly professional, mature, diplomatic, respectful
- Resourceful, creative, curious, keen to learn and grow
- Superior attention to detail
- A collaborative style that brings out the best in people and organizations
Other Desirable Assets
- Experience/knowledge of best practices in online fundraising
- Experience/knowledge of best practices in other fundraising (major gifts, corporate partnership, cause marketing, sponsorships, events, mail/e-mail appeals, monthly giving, planned giving)
- Experience in leadership role, providing direction, guidance and inspiration
- Experience with charitable organizations
- Experience in a multi-faceted communications/marketing role in a small/single person shop
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Experience executing/overseeing design/production of creatives
Term and Compensation
Full-time 3 year contract position. Salary commensurate with experience.
The position will involve some travel (within the province) and some evening and weekend work. The candidate must have a valid driver’s license. Start date is as soon as possible. The search committee will consider potential candidates immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please include in your application:
- Cover letter including one big idea you could implement to up the Nature Trust’s success in public engagement and fundraising
- Current resume
- 3 references (please indicate if you prefer we not contact references until after interview)
Send completed application to Christina Nunn, Office Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in the Nova Scotia Nature Trust!
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.