Position: Program Director, Public Programs
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit http://www.evergreen.ca
The Program Director is a central role in the leadership, management and growth of Evergreen’s programs. As a role model for cross-departmental collaboration, as well as place-based participation and engagement across a host of communities, the Program Director will contribute to the implementation, communication, and application of the organization's vision and strategy. As a proactive individual, the Director will exercise well-developed critical thinking skills with the capacity to process, react to, and solve problems in a timely manner as they arise. The Program Director encourages a nimble and innovative process from inception to implementation and will influence design led system based thinking across Evergreen.
- Manage multiple project objectives associated with an array of programs, ensuring consistent strong alignment with Evergreen’s shared goals and objectives.
- Manage and plan for the allocation of resources, both financial and human, in achieving programming objectives within a broader organizational budget.
- Manage program budgets, workplans, key relationships, contract agreements, activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas requiring improvement.
- Be adaptable to an ever changing program mix, adjusting program oversight based on organizational need.
- Supervise project-focused teams, responsible for assigning tasks, overseeing and coaching on the creative process, and ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery of projects.
- Apply expertise and knowledge to shape program design, working directly with government and foundation funders to secure support, including funder identification, proposal development and reporting.
- Collaborate with Evergreen’s Marketing and Communications department to draft communications material to support the planning and execution of programs and associated communication deliverables. Provide oversight of content development, ensuring external communications accurately and effectively convey Evergreen’s work.
- Collaborate with Evergreen’s Development team to support fundraising from philanthropy and corporate partners, including supporting content development and reporting and donor engagement.
- Collaborate with Strategic Initiatives and Business Development to develop potential revenue streams and business models for new programming activities.
- Oversee the development, promotion and execution of program activities with appreciation for diversity, accessibility and inclusion.
- Maintain professionalism, tact, adaptability, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray Evergreen in a positive manner.
Focus Areas Responsibilities: (Public Programs)
- Execute on site programs such as day camps, active living initiatives, urban agriculture, and art projects and ensure a positive visitor experience
- Develop outreach initiatives with neighbourhood communities
- Initiate and strengthen partnerships with mission-aligned nonprofit organizations to engage new audiences
- Strategic thinking/vision. Assess opportunities and threats, options and actions based on comprehensive analysis of current and future trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of EG. See and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way.
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve.
- Program Design/Learning: Comfortable working through systematic problem solving, experimentation, learning from experience and best practices in a transparent fashion, and communicating efficiently through an organization.
- Agile Management: Comfortable in an unpredictable environment, able to effectively manage through iterative and incremental program design and delivery.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management: Determine strategies to move programs and the organization forward; set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate and learn.
- Change management/adaptability: Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills: Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- People management. Clarify performance expectations, provides, professional/performance development support, recognizes people’s strengths & accomplishments, provides guidance while allowing independence, provides constructive and timely feedback, informal and formal (e.g., annual performance appraisal), communicates relevant information (e.g., management decisions, etc.), open to feedback.
- Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of site-based programs with a customer- and/or donor-focus and exceed expectations.
- Supervised by: Chief Program Officer
- Supervises: Programming staff
- Post-Secondary degree in a relevant field.
- 5+ years’ experience within a broad organization, with expertise in the identified area of focus.
- Strong leadership, negotiation, and management competencies.
- Certification and/or substantive expertise in project management an asset.
- Office Environment with on-site presence as required.
- Available to work some evenings and/or weekends.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to:
Please Reference “Program Director, Public Programs” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.