Role: Membership & Communications Manager
Organization: BC Association of Farmers' Markets
Location: Vancouver, BC
Hours of Work: Full time: 14 Month Contract
Start date: July 15th, 2019
End date: September 15th, 2020
35 hours/week plus occasional evenings and weekends
Compensation: Salary $50,000 per year + Group Benefits
Location: Vancouver Head Office, 203 - 2642 Main St., Vancouver, BC V5T 3E6
Deadline to Apply: NOON June 20th, 2019
Websites: bcfarmersmarket.org / bcfarmersmarketrail.com
About BC Association of Farmers’ Markets
A provincial non-profit, the mission of BC Association of Farmers’ Markets (BCAFM) is to support, develop and promote member farmers' markets across all regions of British Columbia. BCAFM is a unified voice for 145+ member farmers’ markets, and home to over 4,000 farmers, food processors and artisans who share a common vision of ‘BC Grow, Make, Bake’. In addition to many other exciting projects and initiatives, BCAFM is proud to lead the BC Farmers’ Market Trail campaign and deliver the BC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program.
About this Role: Membership and Communications Manager
Are you a skilled communicator with a passion for local food systems and community engagement? Would you love to play a key role in supporting a thriving network of farmers’ markets across BC, and connecting members of the public to local food? The BCAFM is seeking a passionate, knowledgeable and skilled manager to join our small but mighty team. This is an engaging, hands-on and varied role which includes meaningful marketing and communications work managing exciting province-wide promotional campaigns, while engaging with a broad network of stakeholders including member farmers’ markets, farmers, food processors, artisan vendors, government, funders, media and many more. The ideal candidate will: easily move between projects; be a detailed, excellent creative and technical writer; be super-organized in managing schedules and budgets, have a keen eye for detail, regulations and policy; be proactive; enjoy working with a variety of people; and above all have a deep passion and knowledge of local food systems and farmers’ markets.
The Manager of Membership and Communications will perform a variety of duties to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective services that support BCAFM members, the Board, and the overall objectives of BCAFM. Working closely with the Executive Director this position is responsible for managing all organizational communications (excluding the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon program), promotional campaigns, member focused projects, and administration related to membership and promotion of BCAFM Member Farmers’ Markets and Member Vendors.
- Build and maintain relationships with Member Farmers’ Markets in accordance with BCAFM values and Strategic Plan.
- Develop and manage delivery of effective capacity building activities, tools and resources to support and develop Member Farmers’ Markets including, webinars, workshops, knowledge-sharing, mentoring, and other initiatives.
- Lead the annual Farmers’ Market Membership renewal process, including communications, eligibility assessment and administration.
- Lead the annual Farmers’ Market Membership benefits implementation, including liaising with benefit partners such as farmers’ market insurance providers among others.
- Engage with Farmers’ Market Members and the BCAFM leadership team and board to understand and address key challenges and opportunities for the BC Farmers’ Market sector through policy development and strategic planning.
- Assist with organizing and promoting the annual BC Farmers’ Markets Conference and AGM.
- Support Farmers’ Market Members in understanding and adhering to BCAFM bylaws and policies, and key government regulations, legislation and guidelines, such as food safety, organics, non-profit governance and others.
- Lead and oversee the Vendor Membership program, including promotion, administration and liaising with vendor benefit providers.
Marketing & Communications
- Develop and oversee effective strategies for communicating with and engaging members in BCAFM activities, including contact management, email, surveys, social media and site visits.
- Oversee the design and production of capacity building and marketing collateral, ensuring they align with BCAFM organizational objectives and brand style guide.
- Responsible for all BCAFM communications including two websites (member bcfarmersmarket.org and consumer facing bcfarmersmarkettrail.com), annual print directories and brochures, other marketing collateral, conference communications, social media, member communications, newsletter, and public relations.
- Develop and manage promotions of Member Farmers’ Markets to key stakeholders and the public, including leading province wide and regional campaigns such as BC Farmers’ Market Trail, Buy BC and social media campaigns.
- Ensure and oversee a strong and dynamic ongoing social media presence for the BCAFM (“BC Farmers’ Markets”) on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Work collaboratively with Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program staff on communications and promotions.
- Grant writing and sponsorships, including grant reports, soliciting sponsorships, budget management, and communications with funders, including developing and delivering funder and sponsorship recognition and benefits.
- Oversee and work collaboratively with contractors hired to implement marketing, communications, capacity building, research and other projects.
- Hire and provide ongoing support and supervision of the BCAFM Projects and Communications Coordinator, and other BCAFM staff and volunteers as needed.
- Responsible for drafting administering contracts, including budgeting.
Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years management experience.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience in agriculture, marketing communications, or related disciplines.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about farmers’ markets and the local food sector in British Columbia.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Excellent written and verbal communications. Demonstrated ability to write and edit content for different audiences, including technical and creative styles for marketing and stakeholder engagement.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in grant writing and sponsorship programs.
- Knowledge and experience in managing membership programs. Diplomatic and strong customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop, oversee and evaluate education and capacity building activities, such as webinars, conferences, knowledge-sharing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop, oversee and evaluate multifaceted marketing initiatives including web-based communications, member-engagement, public relations.
- Experience developing and assessing policy.
- Highly detail oriented with the ability to provide constructive feedback.
- Excellent project management, organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to schedule, prioritize and manage multiple initiatives concurrently.
- Knowledge of legislation, regulations and policies relating to farmers’ markets, non-profit sector, food safety, and other related areas.
- Enjoys working collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent skills in public and media relations, relationship building, and verbal communications
- Excellent working knowledge web-based communications programs including, Word Press, Survey Monkey, Mail Chimp, Eventbrite, Go to Webinar, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Excellent working knowledge of Mac computer operating systems, Microsoft office suite, Google suite, online file sharing systems, database, contact management systems and ability to quickly grasp new software.
- Strong experience supervising creative and graphic design projects and working with a brand style guide.
- Sound analytical, problem-solving, and decision making skills.
- Strong supervisory experience.
- Solid interpersonal skills, with the ability to exercise high-level of diplomacy, maintain a positive focus, and use discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to travel within the province.
Deadline & How to Apply
- Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF format, with your name in the title of the document on or before NOON Thursday, June 20th, 2019 to email@example.com
- Please include ‘Job Title’ in the email subject line
- Please note that interviews may be conducted during the recruitment period and only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
BCAFM values equity and inclusion, and is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, LGBTQ, and individuals from other diverse communitiesand lived experiences to apply.
Thank you very much for your interest in BC Farmers’ Markets.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.