Position: Urban Harvest Assistant
Supervisor: Urban Harvest Coordinator
Organization: Black Creek Community Farm
Location: North York, Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: May 6th, 2019
End date: October 25th, 2019
Wage: $18/hr (37.5hrs a week)
Deadline to apply: April 28th, 2019
The Urban Harvest Assistant will assist in the implementation and development of the Urban Harvest Toronto Program at Black Creek Community Farm ( BCCF). The main tasks involve canvassing of homes, collection of surplus fruits and vegetables grown by local residents and community gardens, and redistribution of surplus produce to local food banks.
This position reports to the Urban Harvest Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
- Canvass door to door to the residential homes in the Black Creek neighbourhood and register local residents interested in participating in the surplus harvest program using surveys for the Urban Harvest program
- Use cargo bikes to collect weekly fruits and vegetable surpluses from residential homes and community gardens in the neighbourhood
- Redistribute fruits and vegetables to food banks in the community using cargo bikes.
- Do weekly follow up calls on residents and community garden leaders for produce availability and pick up arrangements
- Assist in the recruitment of volunteers to the Urban Harvest program
- Work with and oversee volunteers in canvassing residents, and collecting and distributing surplus produce
- To keep accurate records of canvassed homes, registered participants to the program, and collected produce for metrics tracking and reporting
- Assist in the promotion and creation of promo materials of the Urban Harvest program through social media, flyers, website, etc.
- Assist with planning and facilitation of food preservation workshops as needed
- Assist with Farm events as needed – including Farm Festival, Honey Bee Day, Dinner at the Farm
- To assist residents with properly completing any surveys, forms, or questionnaires
- Attend BCCF staff meetings, team meetings, staff trainings, and complete all other duties as assigned
- An understanding of issues affecting the diverse populations of Jane-Finch area including general issues affecting low-income communities
- Strong knowledge or experience working in racialized communities
- Fluency in a second language relevant to the neighbourhood is an asset
- Knowledge and experience in gathering data and research through surveys
- Excellent organizational skills, motivation, and ability to work productively without in-person direct supervision
- Excellent planning skills and creative vision, coupled with the ability to get things done
- A personal approach to your work that is engaging, respectful, and fun
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to function in a team setting
- Commitment to social change
- Experience in planning and delivering successful informal/formal programming
- Able to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends
- Self-organized and self-motivated to work productively
The Urban Harvest Assistant position includes:
- Working outdoors in all kinds of weather (heat, sun, rain, cold)
- Repetitive tasks such as bending, crouching, and reaching
- Walking, standing and working on your feet
- Use of Cargo Bicycles to transport produce back and forth within 3-4KM radius from Black Creek Community Farm
- Weighing, sorting, packing and storing produce in cooler for redistribution
- Lifting of 10-40lbs of produce in bins and bags
- Loading/unloading produce into and out of the cargo bike
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by April 28th, 2019 with the subject line: Urban Harvest Assistant.
Please note that only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.