Position: Maintenance Worker
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit http://www.evergreen.ca
The Evergreen Brick Works Maintenance Worker (Site Steward) is responsible for the day-to-day delivery of property management services including cleanliness, maintenance, safety and security, as well as supporting program and event teams.
- Maintain cleanliness and keep in safe repair all physical assets including buildings, grounds, parking lots, sheds, washrooms, tools and equipment.
- Deliver established standard operating procedures for day-to-day site operations as they relate to opening, closing, safety and other policies and protocols
- Maintain storage spaces and workshop organization and inventory; collect assets from across the site after events and programs on a regular basis.
- Work with a broad range of tools and equipment including power tools, light vehicles and occasionally working from heights.
- Collaborate with staff in the set up and delivery of Evergreen’s programs and events.
- Support the property management team, participate in ongoing site fit-out and upgrades and assist the building operator with preventive maintenance and other relevant duties.
- Assist with tenant move-in and move-out preparation, accept Evergreen deliveries and facilitate tenant’s deliveries and contractors’ needs.
- Seasonal (winter) work including snow removal, de-icing, and assisting the ice rink team in the preparation and maintenance of the ice rink and use of the Zamboni (scraping and flooding) and edger.
- Comply with Evergreen’s policies and Health and Safety requirements.
- Follow established energy, water and waste management policies and programs.
- Provide onsite support in the event of an emergency such as flood including flood preparation, evacuation and clean-up activities as needed.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Team work. Able to work as part of a team in a collaborative way.
- Secondary school education or equivalent education and/or experience in relevant fields
- First Aid, CPR, WHIMS, Forklift, Bobcat, Zamboni and Valid G Driver’s license will be assets
- Custodial/janitorial experience
- Experience using hand tools and doing small repairs
- Electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills are assets
- Indoors and outdoors, inclement weather
- Working with vulnerable populations at times
- Working hours – shift work with average of 37.5 hours p/wk including weekends
- Evergreen Brick Works is located in a flood plain of the Lower Don River and is prone to occasional flooding. Under these conditions, employees may be asked to work from home and/or participate in clean-up activities.
- Able to lift heavy objects, shovel snow, operate light equipment (e.g. snow blowers, pressure washers)
- Able to climb and work from heights
- Reports to: Facilities Manager
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to humanresources @ evergreen.ca.
Please Reference “Maintenance Worker” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.