Position: Sustainable Buildings and Operations Specialist
Organization: Lush Cosmetics
Location: Etobicoke, Toronto, GTA, Ontario
Lush Cosmetics has manufacturing and distribution operations in Vancouver and Toronto, where we hand make fresh bath and beauty products for 250 shops across North America. Based in Toronto, you will be the technical lead for energy, water and waste management in our two manufacturing facilities and one distribution hub that service the East Coast business. You will work closely with the capex/facilities/continuous improvement team as well as the production room managers to understand processes and identify, prioritize, plan and execute projects and initiatives that reduce the environmental impact of our buildings and operations, while returning a positive ROI. Joining a fast-growing company, you have the opportunity to champion environmental stewardship in a dynamic and entrepreneurial work environment.
Your core RESPONSIBILITIES include:
Green Building Systems & Sustainable Operations
- Identify, prioritize, plan and execute projects and initiatives that drive continuous improvement in building and operational performance in the areas of energy efficiency, water conservation and waste.
- Build strong working relationships through effective stakeholder engagement with construction/capex, facilities/maintenance, factory management and production room teams
- Further develop and expand energy audits and energy management planning for Toronto manufacturing and distribution buildings, targeting energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities to meet our 2020 targets
- Evaluate water efficiency, reduction and recycling opportunities through manufacturing and water treatment
- Develop a strong understanding of production to drive building system improvements and process innovation
- Collaborate with the freight team to develop sustainable transportation criteria to support decision making around internal vehicles and carriers to reduce emissions of freight and distribution
- Build tools to improve measurement of building performance to effect decision making and behavioral change
Environmental Metrics, Analysis & Education
- Create resources and support training to increase education and engagement around sustainable building performance, continuous improvement and behavior changes
- Conduct environmental and financial analysis to evaluate and prioritize areas for improvement, build the business case and demonstrate measurable results
- Compile and analyze data on energy, water, waste and freight
- Collaborate and support special projects and strategy development on renewable energy and water replenishment
You bring the following QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years of work experience in energy and environmental management in manufacturing or commercial buildings
- Technical background in building mechanical system operation, including HVAC, boiler, and refrigeration systems
- Knowledge and experience in green building systems, industrial water and wastewater management, energy management and renewable energy
- Outstanding project management skills – strong organization, time management and ability to manage priorities
- Experience in continuous improvement and capital project planning/budgeting
- Experience in industrial energy management, including portfolio benchmarking and analysis
- Practical operational experience in change management and successful implementation of sustainability initiatives in manufacturing and/or distribution
- Understanding of Ontario’s environmental regulations, building codes, ASHRAE and other applicable codes and standards
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with an open mindset to get curious and learn
- Strong analytical skills – you love excel sheets and diving into numbers to understand the drivers and tell the story
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to effectively manage and meet multiple deadlines.
- Proactive and solutions oriented with the ability to be fluid, flexible and adaptable to the Lush culture
- The desire and ability to work as a team player and support team priorities and initiatives as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (mechanical/environmental/process/chemical engineering, sustainable business)
- Experience in process or mechanical engineering, continuous improvement and lean manufacturing
- Graduate degree or equivalent training and certifications (Certified Environmental Professional, Certified Energy Manager, P.Eng, EIT, LEED AP/Green Associate)
How to Apply:
Thanks for your interest in LUSH! Due to the high volume of applicants, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Best of luck in your job search, and don’t forget to follow us online for even MORE opportunities!
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.