Position: Lead, Active Living
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Bayview Avenue, Downtown Toronto, Ontario
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit http://www.evergreen.ca
This role is responsible for leading Active Living programs and activities at the Evergreen Brick Works site and in the Lower Don, including but not limited to the operations of Bike Works and the implementation and oversite of Skating, DRVP and Children’s Active Living Programs. The Project Leader will furthermore be the primary contact with all external Active Living partners and stakeholders.
- Support the strategic development and ongoing delivery of Active Living programming at Evergreen Brick Works and in the Lower Don
- Recruit, train, coordinate and support a team of 60+ volunteers
- Develop and maintain partnerships with external stakeholders and community partners to ensure long-term engagement
- Ensure programs and services are relevant to local communities
- Oversee Bike Works, Hikes and Yoga, Skating Programs and partnered internal and external Active Living Programs
- Ensure the integration of Site wide Active Living initiatives across portfolios and in dialogue with the Festivals, Markets and Events teams
- Participate in the evaluation of Active Living Programs for risk, impact and financial sustainability
- Support content development for potential funding opportunities
- Supervise and provide guidance and support to Program Assistants and Active Living Animators
- Communicate program priorities and goals to coordinators and animators. Assist in incorporating these priorities into existing and new programs
- Participate in emergency management planning and support
- Ensure that all Evergreen Risk Management, Health & Safety, and other policies and procedures are adhered to;
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of EG. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Other. Able to work independently on specific projects
Supervised by: Program Manager, Outdoor Education Evergreen Brick Works
- 2+ year’s work experience and educational background relating to active living, health and wellness, recreational programming, community engagement and education, and/or community services
- Experiencing supervising staff and volunteer teams
- Comfortable delivering presentations, preparing reports and writing grant applications
- Experience as a bike mechanic, mountain bike coach, skating instructor, hike leader, group facilitator or CAN-Bike Instructor certification an asset
- Experience managing skating rink operations and programs an asset
- A flexible schedule, including the ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR training
- Complete a successful police vulnerable reference check
- Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions
- Working outdoors
- Physical Fitness to participate in programs
- Able to lift up to 50lbs
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com .
Please Reference “Lead, Active Living” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.