Home | Job Postings
Position: Assistant Manager of Camping & Outdoor Education
Organization: YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka
Location: Ramara / Orillia, Ontario
Reporting to the Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education, the Assistant Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education provides leadership to two program areas; the summer (July–August) Leadership Experience and Adventure Progression Program (LEAP) and the Adventure/Leadership Program (September–June). This position will also support the summer Family Camp program as needed. This includes, but is not limited to the development of safe, values-based programs that build assets in children, youth and families, the hiring and development of program staff and delivery of all aspects of the program.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- During the summer months this position supports the Leadership Coordinator in the delivery of the Leadership Experience and Adventure Progression Program (LEAP).
- This position will provide support to the Family Program as needed.
- Actively promote the summer LEAP Program registration during the non-summer months.
- Provide direct leadership and support to the adventure/leadership/family programs (September – June).
- Hire program staff for the Fall, Winter and Spring seasonal program contracts.
- Develop and facilitate staff training for all adventure, leadership and non-summer family programs.
- Schedule staff for the all adventure, leadership and non-summer family programs.
- Perform HR duties such as staff on-boarding and payroll approvals.
- Working with the Conference Services and Sales team, develop program schedules based on each group’s goals and needs.
- Develop and share user group pre-arrival information/confirmation packages (pre visit emails, packing lists, schedules, guidelines, etc)
- Support user groups onsite to ensure their needs and expectations are met. Communicate daily with group leaders/teachers fostering a positive relationship and rapport.
- Designate a group lead should there be multiple groups onsite or when the Assistant Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education is not present.
- When needed, support programs in a front line program staff capacity.
- Assist with the recruitment of new user groups to Geneva Park and the development of new program opportunities.
- Provide leadership to the program contribution to Geneva Park’s social media strategy.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- Ensure that staff are working in a safe and fair workplace environment according to all provincial workplace legislations.
- Ensure that Ontario Camps Association standards and YMCA Ontario Camping Quality Recommended Practices are met in the LEAP and adventure/leadership programs.
- Support the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka Camping Department programs and initiatives as required.
- Support’s the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s Annual Fundraising Campaign.
- Other related duties as required.
- Post-secondary education Bachelor of Education, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Therapy or Adventure Based Leadership
- Strong public relations, marketing and communications skills.
- Quality service training and experience.
- Experience delivering ABL (Adventure Based Learning), experiential activities and initiatives
- Knowledge of the outdoors, leadership theory and team building concepts
- Understanding of all relevant standards and legislation regarding the safe and appropriate operation of an outdoor/leadership center and summer camp program.
- Strong work ethic with administrative skills.
- Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner (Spotted Only)
- Standard First Aid with CPR C/AED certification.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR)
- Canoe Tripping Certifications
- Have access to a car and have a valid G or higher level of driver’s license
- Experience in wilderness trip risk management, trip management and evacuation protocol
- At least two seasons of camping, outdoor education and/or recreational experience as a supervisor
- Excellent team player able to work closely and share leadership with other staff
- Experience in supervision, information sharing, staff scheduling and payroll
- YMCA Child Protection Orientation
- AODA training
- Health & Safety Awareness training
- Violence & Harassment in the Workplace training
- PCI Compliance
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs. Be on-call for programs, work flexible hours and days including weekends as well as availability during some traditional holiday breaks in the school calendar.
PREFFERED QUALIFCATIONS OR WILLING TO OBTAIN:
- Canoe tripping course instructor
- Instructor or Coaching Certifications in Adventure Activities or Recreational Sports
- ACCT accreditation (Level 2, and/or Course Manager) required or logbook hours sufficient to obtain
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Instructor Trainer
- Non-violent Crisis Prevention certification
- Train the Trainer experience in Adventure Programming
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Assistant Manager of Camping & Outdoor Education
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 44151
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Feb 14 2018