Home | Job Postings
NOTE: The deadline for this posting has just passed.
View current job postings at GoodWork.ca.
Position: Organic Gardener/Educator
Type: full-time temporary, through November 15, 2017.
Organization: Earthwise Society
Location: South Delta, Greater Vancouver, British Columbia
ORGANIC GARDENER EDUCATOR
Earthwise Society has been a not for profit leader in community-based environmental education for over 30 years. The Society operates a demonstration garden of sustainable landscape practices and organic urban food gardens at several small scale plots in South Delta. We have an exciting opportunity for an energetic and articulate individual who is passionate about making a personal contribution to sustainability. Reporting to the Executive Director the Farm and Garden Coordinator will carry out the following activities:
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain the public demonstration garden to ensure that plantings are healthy, free of weeds and the site is attractive to visitors
- Coordinate, schedule and implement gardening and maintenance projects for community partners; ensure contracted obligations are met in a timely and professional mannr
- Ensure that equipment is well maintained and that necessary tools and supplies are available when needed and are replaced after use
- Assist with other horticultlural activities and tasks as requested
Volunteer Engagement and Mentoring
- Welcome and engage garden volunteers to ensure a meaningful and successful experience
- Educate, work with and supervise garden volunteers, to ensure that necessary tasks are performed and that volunteers learn new skills
- Assst with delivery of garden education programs for schools
- Assist with the development and delivery of environmental education programs and garden tours for adults
Nursery and Sales
- Ensure that nursery area is well maintained and stocked and that plants are watered, weed free and attractive.
- Carry out plant propagation tasks to increase nursery stock
- Ensure that plants are priced and labelled correctly and that signage is clearly displayed
- Assist with nursery marketing and sales
- Post secondary education in horticulture, aagricultlure or environmental fields
- At least one year’s experience working on a small scale farm required
- Knowledge of composting and organic practices; organic experience preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; experience with community outreach or environmental education an asset
- Be self-motivated, flexible, and work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers
Note: This is a full-time temporary position, 35-hours per week through November 15, 2017. Weekend work will be required. This position may be renewed for the following season extended based on a successful performance review and continued availability of funding.
Submit a cover letter and resume to:
by Sept. 11, 2017.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 42400
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Sep 7 2017