Position: Program Officer, Indigenous Outreach
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Toronto, Ontario
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Program Officers. This group of creative, enthusiastic, action-oriented individuals drive the day-to-day delivery of Evergreen’s diverse programs, and contribute to their development and ongoing evolution. If you love to collaborate with others and thrive in a dynamic environment, then this may be the right role for you.
Our Program Officers contribute to the success of multiple projects and are strong team players. The successful candidate will support our national support program designed to help advance bold ideas in response to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Housing Supply Challenge and build sector capacity to generate innovative housing solutions.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighbourhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Program Officer plays a critical role in the planning, execution and evaluation of programming projects. A multi-tasker, with insight into multiple projects at any given time, the Program Officer helps to ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget and in line with program plans. To achieve these goals, the Program Officer will work with others to define and refine project requirements and scope, and organize day-to-day program delivery.
This role will focus on building and enhancing relationships among Northern and Indigenous leaders and community members, in support of the development and implementation of the Housing Supply Challenge Support Program. The Officer will play a key role in outreach to, and relationship building and engagement with, Northern and Indigenous communities. The Officer will also contribute to the advancement of program activities that serve and engage Northern and Indigenous communities and practitioners, and champion Indigenous inclusion.
With a can-do attitude, and the experience to know when to work independently and when to seek the guidance of others, the Program Officer works across the program team, and the organization as a whole, to maintain program excellence and achieve maximum mission impact.
- Develop and steward relationships with communities and organizations across the Northern region, to enable participation among Indigenous and Northern peoples in Evergreen’s capacity-building and support programs.
- Engage in outreach, relationship-building and collaboration with a focus on creating reciprocal value and relevant opportunities for Indigenous partners.
- Contribute to and support program development and implementation, bringing the lens of Northern and Indigenous priorities and engagement.
- Work with Program Manager to track activities throughout the project lifecycle, including scheduling, documentation, budgeting and expenses
- Showcase a strong understanding of Indigenous cultural protocols and honour the diversities amongst Nations, and conduct engagement accordingly
- Work with Program Manager to plan and execute on project timelines, milestones, deliverables, using the appropriate software tools and applicable project management methods
- Monitor progress of projects and work with others to adjust plans as needed
- Work collaboratively across the organization to help find opportunities for alignment and partnership
- Help develop communication plans and partnership opportunities
- Conduct internal and/or external stakeholder meetings to solicit feedback, input and communicate expectations
- Plan and facilitate regular meetings to monitor project progress, track updates and changes, and ensure the right information is shared with those who need it
- Work with Program Manager to create contingency plans to mitigate risk
- Produce regular status reports on the progress of projects, solving problems strategically, recommending solutions and engaging others as required
- Share experiences and help generate lessons learned as programs are evaluated
- Continuously look for new ways to deliver projects for greater mission impact enhanced diversity, equity and inclusion, and greater alignment with organizational values
- Bring forward ideas for new programs or the evolution of existing programs
- Promote Evergreen programs and recruit participants
- Engage in outreach to municipalities, Indigenous committees and other stakeholders
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Communicate in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Innovation. Build new opportunities. Resourceful in the face of challenges. Focused on solutions. Prioritize learning and growth.
You have the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years’ relevant experience
- Proven experience working with Indigenous and Northern communities, organizations and leaders
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build, steward and grow relationships, negotiate partnerships and/or manage collaborative initiatives with a broad range of Indigenous and Northern actors, in a holistic, inclusive and meaningful way
- Demonstrated ability to centre relationship-building in a way the values, validates, and champions Indigenous ways of knowing and doing, being mindful of multiple approaches, perspectives, and protocols based on the needs and protocols of diverse Nations
- Strong understanding of systemic issues faced by Indigenous communities including colonialism, reconciliation, inclusion, equity and social justice issues and trends
- Knowledge of diverse Indigenous and Northern communities, cultures and areas of expertise
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution
- Proficient in: Microsoft Office applications, project management software and collaboration platforms, and customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Post-secondary education, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with design thinking models, software and approaches an asset
- Supervised by Program Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto, but can work remotely.
- Regular office hours are flexible, but work will include some weekends, holidays and/or evenings
- Full time, 22-month contract until May 31st,
- Target hire rate: $48,000 - $54,000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities.
- This contract role is tied directly to Evergreen’s work on the Housing Supply Challenge Support Program. There is the possibility of contract renewal and/or extension to support other Evergreen programming.
Application Closing Date: August 13, 2021
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position*
How to Apply:
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.