HORTICULTURE & LANDSCAPING JOBS
Position: Maintenance Technician - Living Walls
Employer: Ginkgo Sustainability Inc.
Location: Toronto, Ontario
We connect the living and built environments.
Ginkgo Sustainability is on a mission to change how the world builds and manages the spaces in which we live, work and play every day (and possibly even do our small part to help save the planet for future generations, along the way). We believe in positive ROI sustainable biophilic design, construction and maintenance (and we like to think that we are, actually, really really good at it). Our services include the design, installation and maintenance of features and environments that lie at the intersection of living and built forms. We are already one of the largest green roofing installers in Canada and are growing our living walls and maintenance businesses at a rapid clip. Our clients are primarily institutional, commercial and multi-unit residential (condo buildings) but we are also working hard to help homeowners benefit from green design / building as well. All of that being said, just in case you think we are really just a fancy “landscaping / construction company”, well, you might also be interested to know we are also in the process of prototyping our own IOT-based environmental monitoring systems, dabbling in solar and constantly looking for new ways to innovate and get better.
Most importantly of all though, while we are proud of our growth, we value our clients and partners more than anything and we firmly believe that, in order for green building to really take hold, quality has to be at the forefront of all that we do (if what we build doesn’t outlast us, we’re not really living our mission). Hence, we have very high standards, a team that takes enormous pride in what they do and an unparalleled workforce of highly-skilled dedicated believers in the mission. As a growing organization, we are constantly in need of talent, but we will not settle for anyone less than the best. So, if the idea of earning a competitive wage while having a ton of fun and maybe even helping save the planet is appealing, read on.
Living walls, unfortunately, don’t maintain themselves (we wish!). Luckily, we know a thing or two about maintaining them… but we could certainly all sorts of help actually doing so. Specifically, we are seeking Living Walls Maintenance Technician who will:
- Assume ownership of a series of assigned living walls at pre-determined sites and locations
- Conduct reviews and assessments on the state of the living walls installed at their sites
- Engage in any and all maintenance activities required to ensure the ongoing viability and vibrancy of the living walls that they have responsibility for
- Learn from and reciprocally support their fellow Maintenance Technicians in ways that improve the overall results of the business (including, but not limited to sharing best practices, increasing the number of sites maintained and overall customer satisfaction)
- Constantly seek to build, reinforce and maintain a strong professional, service-oriented reputation, on behalf of Ginkgo, with all prospects, clients, referral sources and industry professionals
- Roll up their sleeves, pitch in and do what is necessary to help Ginkgo and our clients succeed
The Living Walls Maintenance Technician will be expected to:
Planning & Preparation
- Take accountability (behave like an “owner”) for a set of assigned sites and living walls
- Review their daily / weekly assigned maintenance schedule, understand where they will be going, how to get there and what the expectations will be on-site, in advance
- Reserve any and all vehicles and/or equipment they will need to complete their site visits
- Participate in the monitoring and management of tools, materials and equipment
- Identify and/or order replacement / additional inventory, as necessary
- Review and complete an assessment of the state, needs and expectations for the living walls at assigned sites
- Evaluate and document the specific needs of each site and developing action-plans to improve plant health
- Completing any and all required maintenance activities necessary including but not limited to:
- Pruning, planting, weed and pest management
- Irrigation scheduling and fertilizing
- Troubleshooting and minor repairs of the living wall components and infrastructure
- Note taking and documentation
- Address unexpected issues that arise, requesting support and escalating, as required
- Assist the Living Wall Installation Teams with installations, from time-to-time
- Manage relationships with on-site client personnel in a way that promotes a warm collaborative professional relationship
- Maintain an accurate record of time spent at different sites and complete daily timesheets
- Constantly be on the lookout for opportunities for Ginkgo to grow and expand its maintenance relationship at the site, with the client on a broader basis or with respect to other green assets noted in the course of work
- Complete detailed Site Maintenance reports for review by the Customer Success Manager / Head of Maintenance
- Maintain plants and materials in a way that ensures they are ready and available for use in the field, when required
- Participate in weekly status meetings with the Maintenance Team and/or Management to ensure two-way open communication / collaboration regarding:
- Best practices with respect to planning, on-site execution and back-office activities
- The status of assigned maintenance site particularly with respect to any problems encountered and/or concerns
- Client feedback and/or issues
- Scheduling issues and/or how to improve routing, logistics or relationships
- Potential opportunities to grow Ginkgo’s relationship with the client including possible opportunities to manage more green assets or services at either the assigned or associated sites
- Support / backfill other members of the Maintenance Team, as required
Background, Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will likely have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in landscaping, architecture, horticulture, botany or engineering preferred OR a diploma in a related field such as horticulture or greenhouse/nursery production
- Proficiency with office productivity (Excel, Word), CRM (ex. Salesforce) and/or maintenance / scheduling software
- A demonstrated track record of delivering reliable service to customers in the field
- Experience in the green building, construction, horticulture, irrigation, botany and/or landscaping industries
- An openness and desire to learn from both success and failure
In order to be successful, the best candidate will also be:
- Someone who is organized, detail-oriented, mature, reliable and trustworthy
- A disciplined motivated self-starter who believes in always doing the right thing (for both Ginkgo and our clients)
- Both an effective listener and concise, impactful communicator (verbally & written)
- A collaborative team player who believes in winning together
- Capable of identifying plants, diseases and stress indicators
- Physically fit and able to lift heavy items when required
- Comfortable working in a variety of environments that might include offices, client, industrial and construction sites (including occasionally at significant heights)
- Willing, able (i.e., a valid & clean driver’s license) and available to travel (mostly day trips within the GTA) on short notice, as necessary
- Available, occasionally at odd hours, according to the needs of their clients
- Flexible, able and willing to adjust their approach as necessary
Culture & Personality
- Someone with a deep passion for the environment, building / maintaining things and customer service
- A positive fun human being. Seriously. We mean this. Life is too short.
Ginkgo Sustainability is an all-weather / all-season company with a mix of clients, sites and needs both indoors and outdoor. Individuals applying to work at Ginkgo should be prepared and expect to work in all conditions (subject to safety, always).
Compensation will be determined based on qualifications including experience, training, and education but we expect it to include a competitive base salary and the potential for an end-of-season performance-based bonus.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com . We thank all candidates for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Ginkgo Sustainability, and to view our featured projects, visit our website at: http://www.ginkgosustainability.com.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.