Home | Job Postings
Position: Green Roof Maintenance Worker
Location: Vancouver, BC
Architek is seeking someone to help with the maintenance of its green roofs currently under contract. This part-time position is seasonal from April through October and will take place on several green roofs throughout the Greater Vancouver area. Someone who successfully undertakes this position will help with the following tasks:
- Assist the Maintenance Manager with green roofs and living walls keeping them to high standards
- Provide maintenance services to spaces under contract
- Remove common weeds and problematic species such as blackberry, alder, and other trees without damaging the building envelope
- Identify beneficial volunteer plant species that appear on the green roof ecosystem and if appropriate leave those that are beneficial to surrounding wildlife
- Encourage biodiversity when appropriate and help develop green roofs into living ecosystems
- Prune plants according to best practices
- Work 2-3 days per week on maintenance projects as needed in the growing season (April – October)
- Work well with others! We have a great team and often maintain green roof and living wall spaces together
- Complete reports on the health of green roofs and document changes in green roofs over time
- Take photos of green roofs during the growing season for accurate records
- Communicate with property managers, residents and owners about the status of green roofs and living walls
- Have a strong interest in plants and plant health
- Have a strong interest in pollinators, insects, and animals that visit green roofs and walls and how they interact with these spaces
- Apply biodegradable, organic fertilizer when needed
- Have a valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Have Fall Safe Training (Architek will help facilitate training if not)
- Be physically fit and able to work on your feet for a full day. Materials are often required for green roofs and elevators are not always available
- Previous work in landscaping, green roofs, gardening, or farming is preferred
This position is seasonal from April – October. There may be opportunities for install work outside of this time frame but it is not guaranteed.
Please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Green Roof Maintenance Worker
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Mar 13 2020