Home | Job Postings | Gardening Jobs | Sustainability
Job Title: Seasonal Gardener
Work Location: Private property, Caledon, Ontario
Job Type/Status: Full-time, Seasonal
Hourly Rate: $25.00
Hours & Shift Information: 40 hours per week
Duration: April 2021 – Nov 2021; possibility of extension
Reports to: Head Gardener
This is a full-time contract position on a 400+ acre farm estate based in Caledon, Ontario. The roles and responsibilities of the Seasonal Gardener vary by season as outlined below but the list is not exhaustive.
- Maintain perennial flower beds, vegetable garden, container plantings, greenhouse, and pond garden as directed by the Head Gardener
- May be required to assist with maintenance of turf grass areas
- Responsible for knowledge of all aspects of Plant Health Care inclusive of I.P.M. and ecological best gardening practices
- Prepares various growing media prior to planting; gathering, cleaning and storing propagules; planting and transplanting as required and determining and maintaining correct growing environment.
- Knowledge of insect infestation or disease; report as noted.
- Performs maintenance such as litter control.
- May be required to assist with snow & ice removal, washroom cleaning.
- Operates various types of motor vehicles and mechanized grounds, garden and turf maintenance equipment, etc
- May be required to perform various landscaping functions such as sodding and constructing/maintaining retaining walls etc.
- Tool maintenance
- Assist with removal of invasive weeds; general weeding
- Other tasks as required
- Diploma or certificate in horticulture or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience as a practicing gardener
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License
- Possession of or the ability to obtain an Ontario Landscape Exterminator's License an asset
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of a wide variety of plant materials including perennials, annuals, vegetables
- Knowledge of native plants
- Ability to recognize insect pests, diseases and weeds and to treat them in the most ecologically effective manner.
- Knowledge of beneficial insects
- Knowledge of invasive weed species
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with colleagues
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule.
- Maintain log of hours worked.
If you are interested in the role, please email your resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org . Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Apr 14 2021