GARDENING & GARDENER JOBS
Position: Gardener (Contract)
Location: Evergreen Brick Works Campus, Toronto, Ontario
The Gardener is critical to the execution of grounds care, restoration and maintenance, as well as volunteer and public programs at Evergreen Brick Works (EBW) and in the surrounding community.
The Gardener is a knowledgeable team player with a passion for working outdoors, and is committed to supporting regenerative land management practices and contributing to flourishing cities via programming and land stewardship excellence.
Evergreen is a national non-profit transforming public spaces in our cities to build a healthier future for people and our planet.
With over 30 years of championing urban sustainability, we see the potential of our cities to solve some of the biggest issues facing our time and believe that our public spaces are the key to unlocking it. We see beyond the spaces that exist today and imagine them transformed into places where people and nature thrive. And we see a future where everyone can live a healthy life on a healthy planet.
About the Role:
The Gardener is responsible for stewarding thriving gardens at EBW, enriching visitor experience through nature-based programming, and supporting the broader Evergreen team in our mission to build a healthier future for people and planet.
This full-time, seasonal position (April-October) will prioritize caring for native plant and food producing gardens on site while also supporting visitor experience of the Brick Works. In addition to regular garden maintenance and care, gardeners will help lead community-based, ecology-focused volunteer programs and corporate engagements, will have the opportunity to develop and lead workshops and educational events, and will contribute to new garden builds and capital improvements on site.
This position will be focused on advancing an inclusive, accessible, culturally respectful and ecological approach to gardening for biodiversity, climate resiliency and community connection.
- Follow and contribute to the development of comprehensive daily, weekly and seasonal garden management plans including maintenance, planting, irrigation, invasive plant control, composting and soil building strategies.
- Support in the development, facilitation and delivery of community volunteer programs focused on gardening, stewardship, composting, etc.
- Contribute to Capital Infrastructure upgrades and improvements related to existing and new gardens and projects at EBW.
- Work closely with Indigenous colleagues and partners, demonstrating best practice in co-governance of the Brick Works site.
- Assist in the development and delivery of ecology-focused programming, including hosting citizen science groups and facilitating tours, walks, talks and presentations as required.
- Support regular monitoring and maintenance of greening projects on and off-site, including garden builds, events, and workshops with community and corporate partners.
- Participate in daily meetings, trainings and orientations and participate in ongoing professional development opportunities.
- Ensure tool inventory is up-to-date and well-maintained.
- Apply an integrated pest management (IPM) approach.
- Be a positive and proactive contributor to workplace safety.
- Support flood preparation, evacuation and clean up protocols as necessary as well as emergency responsiveness.
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication.
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection.
You excel in the following areas:
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines. Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not get missed.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
You have the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or certification (or working towards completion) in Horticulture, Resource management, Restoration ecology, Environmental Sciences, Biology or a related discipline. Equivalent professional experience also accepted.
- 1 - 3 years of experience working in the field of gardening/landscaping, stewardship and sustainability, regenerative agriculture/permaculture design.
- Strong understanding of native plant ecology, wildlife habitat requirements and the ability to identify and interpret natural assets.
- Experience maintaining green roofs and walls, greenhouse management and production.
- A sound understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Working at Heights certification required (or willing to obtain).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with the principles of vermiculture and beekeeping.
- Interest in living willow design, coppicing and woodlot management.
- Experience leading citizen science activities and supporting volunteers.
- This position may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ), which requires candidates be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment. Meeting these criteria is considered an asset.
- Supervised by: Lead, Urban Ecology & Greenspace
- This position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto and requires consistent on-site presence.
- Outdoor work in inclement weather.
- Will be required to stand for extended periods, lift heavy objects and undertake repetitive tasks on a regular basis.
- CSA approved Safety Shoes/Boots are required.
- Evergreen Brick Works is located in a flood plain of the Lower Don River and is prone to occasional flooding. Under these conditions, employees may be asked to work from home and/or participate in clean-up activities.
- Full time, contract (April to October 2024)
- Wage: $23.15/hour
Application Close Date: March 1, 2024.
To apply, visit our Career Page | Gardener (Contract)
Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.