Position: Development Officer
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Toronto, Ontario
The Development Officer is a great role for someone who wants to get a breadth of fundraising experience at a growing, dynamic charity. You will assist in cultivating and stewarding Evergreen’s corporate, individual, foundation, and government supporters by using your fantastic organizational and project management skills, while contributing to a fun and energetic team.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to live, play, move, work, and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Development Officer plays a key role in supporting our donor relationships and advancing both internal and external relationships at Evergreen. The successful candidate will have strong communication and project management skills; and be both a creative thinker and a doer, with a passion for urban sustainability. The Development Officer works in close collaboration with other fundraisers, as well as Evergreen’s Programming and Marketing & Communications teams, so strong collaboration skills are a must. The Development Officer will interact regularly with corporate partners, foundations, and individual philanthropic contributors, and so a strong customer-focus is also important.
- Help support annual giving strategy, focusing on individual donors initially
- Ensure agreed-upon donor deliverables and stewardship activities are communicated to relevant Evergreeners. Make sure what funders expect from us is tracked and delivered, as set out in sponsor and/or partnership agreements (project management)
- Assist Development team to develop and implement stewardship strategies that strengthen long-term relationships with donors
- Meet regularly with Program and Communications teams
- Support activity tracking by ensuring funds are clearly and comprehensively documented in RaisersEdge, including reporting and other funding requirements/deliverables, regular communication and proposal submissions
- Support report and proposal preparation and help develop simple marketing collateral
- Collaborate across Development team to improve acknowledgment and recognition procedures for partnerships
- Develop and execute regular donor surveys in coordination with Development team
- Occasionally prepare documents that serve as background for executive meetings and conversations with potential partners, including basic prospect research
- Assist in planning and execution of meetings, communications or events that advance donor involvement (e.g. Board holiday card creation and distribution)
- Help the organization to live up to public commitments related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values of Innovation, Connection & Sustainability
You excel in the following areas:
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Customer focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
- Collaboration.Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
You have the following qualifications:
- Diploma/bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in fundraising, marketing, management, business or a related field. 1-2 years’ experience in partnership development, donor marketing, fundraising or an equivalent client-focused environment preferred.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques relevant to fundraising and sponsorship
- Strong people skills and commitment to building an inclusive workplace
- Demonstrated skills in writing, organization, and acute attention to detail
- Comfort and skill in Microsoft Office Applications, especially Excel, PowerPoint; simple graphic design skills
- Prior experience in all aspects of business correspondence and communication
- Working experience with CRM systems (Raiser’s Edge preferred); comfort with project management software (Wrike) an asset
- Prior experience with donor cultivation and recognition events an asset
- A familiarity with urban innovation and sustainability issues an asset
- Reports to Development Director
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto. However, due to the COVID pandemic this position will be working remotely, and on site only as needed, at the moment. Some ongoing remote work is likely.
- Regular hours (flexible), Monday to Friday, occasional evenings and weekends in times of heavy deadlines or events?
- Full time, permanent
- Salary range: $ 55,000 - $60,000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, as well as 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, plus professional development opportunities.
Application Deadline: August 16th, 2021
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*
How to Apply:
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.