Position: Development Coordinator
Organization: Not Far From The Tree
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Fixed Term, Full Time for 1-year (with possibility of extension)
Not Far From The Tree (NFFTT), a project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society, puts Toronto’s abundance of local fruit to use by picking and sharing the harvest with social service agencies across the city. NFFTT has picked and shared over 171,000 pounds of fruit since 2008, and schedules over 300 fruit picks per season. At each pick the harvest is split 3 ways: 1/3 to the homeowner, 1/3 to volunteers, and 1/3 is shared with 38 social service agencies across Toronto.
Not Far From The Tree has a wide supporter base of fruit pickers, tree registrants, volunteers and donors. We are looking to harness this grass-roots support to grow the impact of our work. Our vision is a Toronto where everyone has the opportunity to share in the abundance of the urban harvest. We are looking for a fundraiser and event planner to grow our individual giving program, deepen relationships with our supporter base, and engage our community through dynamic events delivery.
As a small project, we are looking for a self-directed, motivated leader who is excited about building and growing new sources of revenue, and testing new approaches to engaging our donor base. You’ll have a high degree of accountability, but will be supported in testing new approaches and new ideas. This role is perfect for someone looking to take ownership over growing our events and giving programs and drive results. You’ll report to the Project Director, but have a high degree of autonomy in this role. We’re looking for someone who is results-driven, loves data, is enthusiastic, adaptable, and willing to take initiative to come up with creative ideas and solutions as part of your job every day.
This position will require occasional evening and weekend work. A driver’s license is required to transport equipment and materials to and from community events across the city. The position is eligible for a generous benefits package and 3 weeks of vacation time.
- Understanding of donor audiences, development models (e.g. Donor Pyramid), and the methods by which donors can be best retained to increase their lifetime value (i.e. retention and stewardship)
- Promote a culture that is donor-centric, where requests from internal and external stakeholders are responded to with a high degree of urgency, professionalism and friendliness
- Enthusiasm for event planning, including event logistics and volunteer coordination
- Highly organized
- Apply and demonstrate best practices in individual fundraising and donor stewardship
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues
- Self-directed with high capacity to manage multiple priorities and timelines.
- Skilled and professional communicator with stellar customer service skills
- Attention to detail is lazer sharp; you ensure data is accurately entered, organized and analyzed to support successful program operations
- Confident going out in the community, meeting new people, and animating events across the city, and have the leadership capacity to inspire our stakeholders
- Skills in marketing, communications, and graphic design would be an asset
Fundraising & Communications (60%)
- Develop and lead the annual giving program
- Develop and deploy digital content to support fundraising campaigns and events across channels (web, email, social).
- Under the supervision of the Project Director, lead the creation and execution of direct mail appeals, online appeals, innovative fundraising ideas, new ventures in fundraising and prospect research
- Create and update a knowledge base of proposal content that is reusable for different audiences - actively build efficiencies in our communications
- Connect with our stakeholders to highlight and communicate Not Far From The Tree’s Impact
- Develop creative and written content for proposals, donor cultivation and donor reporting
- Assist in the creation of Not Far From The Tree’s annual report
- Enhance, update and monitor the online donor experience
- Revise annual member benefit program to motivate renewals as well as new gifts
- Drive growth in sophistication and utilization of analytics within the organization
- Develop a formal process for supporter conversions
- Provide analysis of existing donor materials and donor retention rates, so as to identify opportunities for improvement
- Maximize the utility of Salesforce to ensure the CRM system is able to track and report back on moves management, prospecting activity and financial results;
Event Coordination (40%)
- Under the supervision of the Project Director, and with support from an event planner, plan and execute Not Far From The Tree’s annual fundraising event, City Cider
- Assist in the creation of event sponsorship decks and sponsorship solicitation
- Plan and execute a meaningful series of donor cultivation events, stewardship events, and community events
- Facilitate and coordinate all development events including volunteers, logistical arrangements, invitations and RSVP lists, and other event-related needs
- Provide outstanding donor and member service in the execution of events
- Inspire, motivate and support staff and volunteers to engage in events
- Track and report event revenues and expenses against budget
- Coordinate post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved
- Inspire, motivate and support staff and volunteers to engage in events
- Other duties as required
Experience & Skills Required:
- Minimum post-secondary education or training in fundraising, marketing, or event planning, or related experience
- Minimum 1 year previous experience in a fundraising environment
- Excellent understanding of development best practices, as well as fundraising tools and technology including donor databases, email and online campaigns, and donor research.
- Experience managing a sales or donor pipeline using a CRM, and using data to drive decision making
- Experience in moves management practices to manage database of supporters.
- Ability to write clear, effective copy for giving campaigns across a variety of channels (direct mail, online, social)
- Impeccable customer service skills and telephone etiquette
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a broad cross-section of people
- Strong attention to detail and numeracy skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Office software applications, Google Drive, Mailchimp, Wordpress, CRMs and social media platforms
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes, and a results-oriented culture.
- Self-motivated, willingness to take initiative to come up with creative ideas and solutions are part of your job every day
- CFRE certification
- Direct experience using Salesforce
- Skills in photography, graphic design, videography or illustration to support fundraising materials are considered strong assets
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Coordinator” in the subject line. We’re accepting applications until Monday October 14th at 11:59pm. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline. In your cover letter, help us understand why you’re an excellent candidate.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in this position. However only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
As Not Far From the Tree is a project of Tides Canada, the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation by getting in touch with Megan at email@example.com .
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.