Home | Job Postings
Position: Hops Farm Internship(s)
Type: full-time internship with accom., land, stipend, more (see below)
Organization: Winterbrook Hops
Location: Caledon, GTA, Ontario
Winterbrook Hops is located on 28 acres, an hour northwest of Toronto, near the town of Caledon. We specialize in growing hops for the craft beer industry.
Are you interested in learning more about the ingredients that go into craft beer? Are you a farm enthusiast who yearns for hands-on experience? Hoping to find a couple to spend a season with us learning how to grow and harvest hops (although would consider one individual, if it’s the right candidate). In addition to our hops yards, we also grow vegetables, herbs and fruit for personal use and encourage our interns to cultivate their own plot. We are also in the midst of establishing on-farm brewery, launching this summer, so they’ll be lots of opportunity to learn the basics of running a farm business as well as business development.
Type of farm activities that you’ll be involved with:
- Early spring: hanging trellis lines (must be comfortable working at heights, safety harnesses & training supplied), training bines
- Field work: pruning, weeding, raised bed preparation, transplanting
- Learn about soil building techniques, cover cropping, composting, organic pest controls
- Harvest: help with drying, packaging and transport
- Vegetable / herb garden: learn tilling, planting, weeding, harvesting skills
- Poultry: learn the basics of daily chicken tending
- Sheep: arrive mid-summer for rotational grazing & pruning, daily care required
- General maintenance help around the farm
What we offer:
- A peaceful, natural environment with your own private accommodations (1985 airstream trailer) parked near creek
- Trailer has its own hot shower, full kitchen, BBQ. Can accommodate a couple or one indivdual.
- Your own plot of land to plant anything you’d like to grow
- A learning environment, including hands-on techniques.
- We encourage you & will support you to enroll in local workshops, to expand your knowledge base & nurture your interests.
- Free access seasonal organic vegetables, herbs, eggs
- A flexible schedule = 36 hrs / week labour (we’ll decide together how best to schedule it, for instance: full days vs. half days)
- $100 weekly food stipend plus WSIB coverage
- One week vacation during your internship
- Located in rolling hills of Caledon - 10 mins drive to Erin, 15 mins to Orangeville – tons of trails close by for hiking, running, biking,
What you offer:
- A keen and enthusiastic attitude, with a yearning to learn
- A kind and compassionate spirit around children, animals and plants
- An interest in organic farming principles
- Physically fit; comfortable working at heights; and in any weather
- Farming experience would be ideal, but a willingness to learn is more essential
- An honest, trustworthy soul to share our farm with this summer
- Valid G license
Preferred start date is May 1st through to mid-September, but can be flexible with the right candidate(s).
Please visit our website at winterbrookhops.ca for more information or please contact:
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 37755
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Jan 23 2017