Ecosource is seeking an Executive Director
Position: Executive Director
Location: Mississauga, Peel Region / GTA, Ontario
Who we are: Established in 1979, Ecosource is an innovative environmental charity that empowers the community to become more environmentally responsible through creative public education. We specialize in hands-on programming that aims to increase environmental sustainability in Peel Region and beyond.
The opportunity: Ecosource is seeking an experienced and inspiring Executive Director to lead a dedicated and talented staff team managing recent organizational growth. The successful candidate will be experienced in the development, communication and implementation of a strategic plan as well as able to develop and implement policies, processes and procedures that support current and future growth. The preferred candidate will be familiar with the life and culture of Mississauga, with a passion for suburban sustainability.
The Executive Director reports to the President and Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and sits on the Board in an ex-officio, non-voting capacity.
- Participate with the Board of Directors and Management in developing a refreshed vision and strategic plan to guide the next stages of the organization’s development.
- Further develop and oversee an operational plan for programs and services which incorporate goals and objectives that continue to work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Effectively lead and manage a dynamic team of 20+ employees; adjusting to seasonal and community needs.
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery and work with the Program Managers on people management and human resources planning and administration.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations, overseeing implementation of the Health & Safety Program.
- Work with the Management Team to set the direction and lead proposal development to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization, reporting to the Board on such activities.
- Work with Management and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive annual operating budget.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget; monitoring the monthly cash flow of the organization; approving expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board, and ensuring that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Provide the Board with regular, comprehensive reports on staffing and program updates, revenues and expenditures of the organization.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization's people (clients, staff, management, and volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Act as a spokesperson, representing the organization at community meetings, events and activities to engage with participants, partners and stakeholders, enhancing the organization's community profile and helping to further achieve Ecosource’s goals.
About you: The ideal candidate should demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Organization: Set short term and long term priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals and track details, data, information and activities.
- Outstanding Communication: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with the staff and board to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Political Acuity & Relationship Building: Seasoned in navigating the nuanced knowledge, behaviours and tactics in discussions and actions in local government, capital projects, development, climate change etc.
- University degree in a related field and/or related experience in the non-profit sector.
- At least 6 years of progressive leadership/management experience, with at least 5 years in a non-profit, charity or voluntary sector organization.
- Knowledge of and experience with:
- Federal, provincial and municipal processes and legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including: employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage etc.
- Current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
- Capital campaigns, securing and growing funding through government grants, procurement or RFP processes, foundation funding or donors, including experience with fundraising events, sponsorship, social enterprise and individual donations.
- Human resources, financial, and project management.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint, Office 365, and Google Drive.
Application & Position Information:
This is a full time position based out of our office in Meadowvale, Mississauga. Some evening and weekend work is required to accommodate Board Meetings, Community Events and representation on councils or committees. Salary range is commensurate with experience, with a generous vacation and benefits package after a three-month probationary period. Ecosource offers a great work environment with excellent opportunities for professional development.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until August 20th, 2017 with interviews planned for late August / early September and a start date of October. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume detailing your experience and interest in this position to:
(Subject line – Executive Director Position)
Documents should be formatted in Microsoft Word or PDF format (preferred). Please note that resumes without a cover letter or a generic cover will not be reviewed.
Ecosource is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified persons. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.