Position: Executive Director
Organization: Compost Education Centre
Location: Victoria, BC
The Compost Education Centre (CEC) is currently seeking an Executive Director. The ideal candidate will have leadership experience in the non-profit sector, strong communication skills and a great capacity for innovative and strategic thinking.
The Executive Director will complement an active Board of Directors and a dynamic team of staff and volunteers, providing leadership in achieving the strategic, financial and operating objectives of the CEC. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for executing organizational development strategies and representing the Centre to stakeholders, funders and the greater community. Duties include community partnership development, employee support, budget and report preparation, strategic planning, coordinating and managing the Centre’s programs and services within the approved budget.
Position: 28hrs/week. Tuesday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:30pm. Occasional weekend and evening work.
- $28/hr 3-month training/probationary period
- $30/hr after successful probationary period
- Employee extended health and benefits package.
Financial Management 25%
- Provide overall financial management of organization, including the preparation of annual budget in consultation with the Board
- Monitor budget expenditures and ensure financial projections are conducted
- Prepare monthly reports and monitor financial and statistical information for the Board and Treasurer
- Conduct monthly sales tracking and bank reconciliation and deposits
- Complete payroll and accounts payable
Stakeholder Engagement and Development 20%
- Develop and enhance relationships and partnerships with stakeholders across the region
- Develop communication and marketing strategies in coordination with staff
- Liaise with CRD, municipalities and local businesses regarding Compost Education Center objectives
- Act as primary spokesperson for the centre through media inquiries, interviews, conferences and community events
- Prepare reports for funders and stakeholders
- Keep abreast of research and development related to CEC objectives and keep staff and board apprised
- Act as primary liaison for funding agencies and government partners
Organizational Management 20%
- With the Board of Directors, conduct strategic planning in areas of business/organizational, development/fundraising, educational programming , communications, and staffing development
- Ensure that the systems, policies and procedures required for the efficient and effective operation of the Centre are in place
- Ensure CEC adheres to all standard legislative and legal requirements
- Identify areas for staff and Board professional development
- Operationalize strategic plan. With staff, develop and implement action plans and outcome measurements for program areas
- Plan and implement special events and AGM with the support of staff
- Prepare annual reports for Annual General Meeting
- Attend monthly evening Board meetings
- Assist in program delivery and in general center operations as needed
- Expand, strengthen and enhance existing fundraising programs and develop new fundraising initiatives
- Identify funding opportunities and prepare grants
- Conduct project evaluation as well as donor and funder reporting, as applicable
Staff Management 15%
- Recruitment, hire and orient new staff members
- Supervise, support and evaluate staff
- Develop and maintain a healthy collaborative workplace
- Facilitate weekly staff meetings
- Support staff in their roles as needed
- Knowledge and enthusiasm about composting, waste reduction, urban agriculture and conservation
- Relevant post-secondary qualifications, plus 3-5 years of management experience in the non-profit sector with a track record of superior performance and good judgment
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, fund development, and financial management
- Proficiency in program development, delivery, reporting and evaluation required
- Human resource management experience
- Demonstrated fundraising and grant proposal writing skills
- Proven experience building and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including written, oral and presentation skills
- Understanding and experience working with the media and acting as a spokesperson
- Flexible and collaborative in leadership
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, projects and timelines
- Experience working in a small non-profit office setting with shared resources required
- Ability to work in a computerized environment, including working knowledge of Microsoft office suite
- Knowledge of Simply Accounting or similar accounting software considered an asset
- Driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract required
- The CEC welcomes and prioritizes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and hires through an equity lens.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: Jelena Putnik, Board Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line should include your name and “Executive Director Application”.
We thank everyone for your interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: December 10th 2019
Anticipated Start Date: Beginning of January 2020
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.