GREEN / ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION
Hiring: Engagement Officer
Organization: Green Schools Nova Scotia / Thinkwell Shift
Location: Wolfville, Annapolis Valley or South Shore Nova Scotia
South & Valley Green Schools Nova Scotia Engagement Officer
Thinkwell Shift (“Shift”) is looking for an Engagement Officer located in the Wolfville region who enjoys working with youth and forging relationships. The successful candidate will report to the Program Coordinator and work well both independently and as part of a team to empower the youth of Nova Scotia to make small changes and improved choices around their energy use at home, school and within their community. Some travel is required for this position.
Valuable skills related to working with children and youth include: strong enthusiasm, ability to manage groups, ability to inspire, motivate and gain trust, creativity, leadership, imagination and adaptability.
You should apply if you:
- Are passionate about helping others
- Enjoy engaging with youth
- Like to have fun at work
- Enjoy scheduling and organization
- Have excellent communication skills
- Like being a part of a positive team
- Are able to self-motivate and take initiative
- Are willing to learn and try new things
About the Company
Shift is a behavior change company that specializes in resource conservation to help our customers save money and to help lower carbon emissions and other complications of high energy usage. We create strategies that support and empower people to make lasting changes in their daily lives to conserve resources such as water, energy, and waste through various projects across Nova Scotia
Shift provides a welcoming and inspiring work environment with a proven on-boarding process including daily team check-ins, 1-on-1 support, 30-60-90 day check in & goal setting meetings. We pride ourselves in team leadership, collaboration and initiative support with opportunities for growth within the developing sector of Energy Efficiency.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Deliver the Green Schools NS energy focused program for the 2022-2023 school year to classrooms in AVRCE, TCRCE & SSRCE areas including outside of South & Valley region virtually and other community settings to various ages, including adults.
- Prepare, schedule, and deliver pre-made presentations and activities about energy and energy efficiency both in person and virtually, as needed.
- Actively engage with and communicate program offerings, goals, and resources to new and returning schools
- Use safe driving practices when on the road
- Follow company standards for personal safety including masking when/if required
- Provide on-the-ground support and mentorship to program participants throughout the school year
- Participate in meetings and training as required
- Create and share program stories through social media and website content, including photographs
- Seize all relevant opportunities to build, support, and create excitement for the program
- Help conduct surveys and other evaluation methods
- Maintain accurate work time and expense records and submit receipts in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records in the Green Schools NS database
- Maintain toolkit inventory
- Collaborate with and support teammates
- Communicate effectively with program coordinator and management team
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver's License, access to a safe and reliable vehicle, and willingness to travel throughout the city or province as required
- A criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector check, will be required before beginning work in schools.
- Strong spoken, written, and listening communication skills in English
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Environmental Studies, or a related field (or equivalent combination of education/experience).
- Experience working with children and youth (elementary, junior, and/or senior high school students) in a school setting and/or programming capacity.
- Experience and willingness to learn Google workspace including Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Meet, Google Docs, Google Sheets and other apps
- Public speaking and facilitation skills
- Strong ability to take initiative, manage time, prioritization, organization, planning, attention to detail, teamwork, and interpersonal skills
- Experience considered an asset for this position:
- Delivering youth programs with an environmental focus
- Knowledge of energy issues and energy efficiency
- Experience working in a cross-cultural and diverse environment
- Knowledge of the Nova Scotia school system and/or curriculum outcomes and lesson plan development
- Personal commitment to leading a sustainable lifestyle
- Expertise in environmental science
- Working with Mi’kmaw communities
- French language skills (written &/or spoken)
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.