LISTEL CANADA—CHEAKAMUS CENTRE
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND LEADERSHIP INTERN
Position: Environmental Education and Leadership Internship
Type: internship with room & board, training, honorarium (see below)
Organization: Cheakamus Centre
Location: Brackendale, near Squamish, British Columbia
Cheakamus Centre is a unique environmental learning centre designed to provide exceptional learning and hospitality experiences inspired by nature. Situated on 165 hectares of ecological reserve in the Cheakamus River Valley near Squamish, BC, Cheakamus Centre is seeking a highly motivated individual interested in learning about and supporting a range of outdoor and environmental programs.
This short-term volunteer position plays a supporting role in the educational programming at Cheakamus Centre. Duties to be undertaken will include acting as a leadership mentor for youth, supporting high school counsellors, visiting teachers and Outdoor School (ODS) program staff during programs, updating program materials and participating in stewardship initiatives. This volunteer position is a great opportunity to develop skills and gain experience in outdoor and environmental education and youth leadership through close mentorship by program staff.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist ODS program staff in supporting youth leadership on field studies and during afternoon and evening programs
• Provide program support to visiting teachers and Cheakamus Centre staff
• Assist Cheakamus Centre staff with stewardship initiatives
• Assist program staff with the training of high school counsellors
• Assist program staff to maintain, update and develop program materials
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• First Aid Certificate – OFA Level 1
• Experience working with children and/or youth in an outdoor educational setting
• Strong interest in developing leadership skills
• Strong interest in environmental stewardship initiatives
• Works effectively independently and in a collaborative team environment
• Ability to work varied hours including evenings and occasional weekends
• Friendly, positive and enthusiastic approach
• Comfortable living and working in a shared residential setting
• Valid driver’s license preferred
BENEFITS OF POSITION
• Gain valuable experience assisting with environmental education programs
• Develop strong leadership skills through direct supervision and mentorship
• Gain demonstrated experience supervising children and youth
• Participate in and learn about local stewardship initiatives
• Gain experience developing educational program materials
• Build knowledge of local natural and cultural history
• Gain confidence in group management and public speaking skills
VOLUNTEER POSITION TERMS for 2017-18
• Term 1: Oct. 2 – Dec. 21
• Term 2: Jan. 9 – Mar. 23
• Term 3: Apr. 3 – May 18
Cheakamus Centre, Brackendale, BC (near Squamish)
Room & Board, outdoor environmental education and leadership training + honorarium are provided. Note: meals are only provided during programming periods.
Email a cover letter stating why you are the best person for this opportunity with your résumé to:
Please ensure to indicate the position you are applying for and the term dates you're interested in.
August 18, 2017
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 41365 Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Jul 13 2017