Position: Sustainability Manager
Location: Burnaby, Greater Vancouver BC
BCIT’s Presidents Office is seeking a temporary, full-time Sustainability Manager, with a term end date of January 8, 2021. This position provides leadership and direction related to implementation of BCIT’s policy on economic, social and environmental sustainability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In conjunction with the Director, Institute Sustainability, develops, reviews and analyzes new initiatives. Conducts viability assessments and project costing, ensuring that performance and policy standards are met.
- Works with management staff across BCIT schools and service departments to institutionalize the practice of sustainability through operational budgets and plans, performance assessments, processes, and procedures.
- Manages and updates publications, reports, and marketing and communications documents pertaining to Institute Sustainability. Ensures that processes are in place to refresh information on a regular basis.
- Provides leadership in the development, continual evolution and implementation of the Ecocity Centre.
- Researches, develops and initiates opportunities for the Ecocity Centre to enable it to gain a competitive edge in all aspects of applied research and industry services collaborations related to the advancement of sustainable cities aligned with the International Ecocity Standards.
- Identifies and pursues external funding opportunities to support the Ecocity Centre, including initiatives that co-benefit Institute Sustainability, and works with the Foundation office, as needed, to manage donations and related activities.
Sustainability Operations and Measurement:
- Manages reporting staff, overseeing and participating in selection, coaching, mentoring, development, performance management and all other people-management practices.
- Develops, manages and monitors operating budgets relating to Institute Sustainability for both existing and/or new initiatives, including developing proposals with feasibility studies and preparation of recommendations and reports.
- Reviews and coordinates the administration of contracts and agreements including grants, international and affiliation agreements, industry services agreements, etc.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Completion of a Master’s degree in sustainability, business administration, engineering, environmental studies, natural resources management, community planning, or public administration.
- Completion of professional sustainability, corporate social responsibility, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), or similar training and professional accreditation would be an asset.
- Seven to ten years of current, relevant experience, preferably in a unionized work environment.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Advanced literacy in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Excel.
- Demonstrated budget preparation and administration skills, coupled with strong financial reporting skills.
- Familiarity and knowledge of lifecycle assessment and a demonstrated interest in coupled with environmental stewardship.
- Must be able to identify ethical practices and energy and materials savings opportunities in purchasing processes.
- Demonstrated leadership, time management, project management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and creative skills.
- High degree of initiative, energy, and self-confidence combined with good judgement.
- Must be knowledgeable about provincial funding programs.
- Must have demonstrated project management experience, and policy development experience including experience in writing business cases, grant proposals, and detailed reports.
View the full job description here: Sustainability Manager
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: Asap – January 8, 2021
COMPETITION NUMBER: 18M508
OPENING DATE: March 20, 2019
CLOSING DATE: April 28, 2019
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.
Direct link to apply: https://bit.ly/2ujSRjO
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.