SUMMER STUDENT JOBS
Position: Conservation Assistant
Type: summer student job / current student (co-op or regular) / no age restriction
Organization: Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy
Location: Toronto / Niagara Escarpment, Ontario
Function of job: This position contributes to the strategic conservation objectives including determining ecosystem composition, improving the site inventories and ecological classification of our nature reserves, while building a more robust community network for the protection of natural systems
Supervision: Under the direction of the Conservation Coordinator and Land Acquisition Officer, Reporting to the Executive Director
- Assist during the field research and biological inventories (inc. species at risk), providing support during the monitoring and assessment of terrestrial and aquatic habitats and using GIS abilities to analyze ecosystem types
- Collect and analyze field data to identify habitat and threats, to guide our land management measures
- Assist with project start up and close out activities including deliverables reporting, prepare site implementation documentation, and provide assistance with organizing and delivering presentations
- Assist with coordination of daily logistics and scheduling
- Aid in the managing of seasonal volunteers during the spring and fall.
- Other administrative duties as required
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in ecosystem management, restoration ecology, environmental sciences, fish and wildlife management or related field (currently enrolled)
- Strong knowledge of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, fish and wildlife and habitat requirements, relevant regulatory legislation. Flora and Fauna ID skills. Ecological Land Classification knowledge.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including the ability to write clear and accurate reports; previous experience with technical/peer-reviewed scientific writing/editing preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following: conflict resolution, strategic and tactical planning; project management principles and practices; analysis and critical thinking; creativity and innovation in problem solving; interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal); organizational skills
- Experience with computer-based GIS (Geographic Information Systems) preferred
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team member
- Good health, strength, and endurance for outdoor physical activities
- The candidate must meet the Student Work Placement Program offered by Eco Canada
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status
If interested, please submit your cover letter and resume to Liv Callo (Conservation Coordinator): email@example.com
Subject: Conservation Assistant
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
EBC is a registered charity. Its mission is:
- to establish, maintain and manage a system of nature reserves in the area of the Niagara Escarpment (including the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve), including the maintenance of physical features of scientific and/or ecological, cultural, historic or scenic interest; to maintain, enhance or restore areas of native species or natural habitat and; to encourage and support scientific research and educational services related thereto
- to educate the public about conservation and preservation of the landscape, ecology and wildlife of the Niagara Escarpment, partly through providing low impact, ecologically sustainable recreational opportunities, which complement and do not substantially conflict with our primary objective.
- EBC is the largest Ontario focussed land trust with 184 nature reserves on 14758 acres with 63 species at risk and sequestering over 70,000 tonnes of carbon each year, 18 ½ kms of Lake Huron shore, over 80 kms. of trails and used by over 25,000 hikers every year.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.