Position: Field Data Specialist
Location: Toronto, Ontario
At Heliolytics we help optimize renewable energy assets by creating innovative tools that are changing the way renewable energy assets are operated and our services actively enable the increased deployment of renewable energy globally. Solar energy systems -our main operational sector- are the fastest growing source of energy globally, and we have seen the market grow rapidly over the past decade (installed solar capacity increased by 26% last year).
Every day our teams are in the field collecting imagery data using industry-leading tools and techniques, and providing clear, actionable insights for our clients to make the best decisions possible. We are currently the global leader for aerial inspections of solar arrays, and lead the industry in the development of innovative new technologies and insights. The Field Data Specialist is the critical part of these internationally travelling teams, and is responsible for operating our proprietary data acquisition tools out of our aerial and ground-based acquisition vehicles.
The Field Data Specialist is expected to travel regularly, and is responsible for transporting our equipment to client sites, and operating it to collect in-field datasets. Our clients are international, and the Field Data Specialist will have the opportunity to travel regularly across North America and internationally.
Things you’ll be working on:
- Data collection from aircraft
- Operation of a technically complex data acquisition system
- Interfacing with the data collection team and Field Operations Coordinator to arrange travel and logistics
- Organizing and transferring data to data analysis teams
- Occasionally assisting data analysis teams with data analysis and report generation
- Documenting operations and maintaining clear records
You’ll need to be:
- Ready to travel: This position will involve regular travel in teams of two to client sites, and will have a flexible travel schedule. One week you may spend 3-5 days traveling and be back again for the weekend. Other times you’ll be on a 2 weeks on/1 week off rotation. Does flying to places such as Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New Jersey, and Cabo San Lucas sound exciting to you? Is the feeling of accomplishing a successful “mission” or going on an adventure exciting to you? This might be the job for you. Sometimes flight schedules need to be changed or expedited, but we accommodate Field Data Specialists’ schedules whenever possible. We also cover all costs of travel: accommodations, transportation and food.
- Able to work in small aircraft: The main function of this job involves taking precise measurements while in a small aircraft. If you get carsick, seasick or motion sick, this is not the career for you.
- Able to work autonomously: You’re in France. The system won’t turn on. The scan needs to get done today. You have no cell phone signal. The field work that we perform regularly intersects with Murphy’s Law. You will be expected to learn all the technical aspects of our sensor system, and be able to reliably solve problems in field situations.
- Operations focused: The success of this position depends on operational excellence. You should love checklists, be a clear communicator and team player, and have a proven ability to get things done despite long days in the field and occasionally handling equipment up to 50 lbs. A keen understanding of how to triage what’s important and what’s required later will be key.
- Technologically proficient: You should show a clear ability to learn and adapt to new software and technologies. Our tools are constantly in flux, and you should be able to keep up with the latest software and hardware, while actively participating in the design of our next generation systems.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills: You will be frequently engaging with different personalities while performing the job on the road and you will be required to successfully solicit their help in accomplishing the tasks required of you. The ability to work with a variety of people in stressful situations is key.
- Able to travel: You will need to have a valid driver's license (G-Class Ontario Driver's Licence or equivalent) and be comfortable driving on highways. You will need to have a passport and have no international travel restrictions. You should not have a criminal record and have no known impediments to receiving security clearance.
It would be great if you had experience with:
- Management or field operations experience; tell us how you have worked effectively to lead a team to achieve a goal
- Technical writing and report generation; you will be assisting with the generation of client reports
- Languages (Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Hindi, German, French)
- Programming or advanced spreadsheet knowledge - this position will not require coding, however you will be expected to work closely with our developers to communicate and test improvements to the system.
- An understanding of how to troubleshoot an electrical system.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If the job description gets you pumped but your background isn’t exactly what we’ve described above, or if you strongly believe you bring qualifications beyond what we’ve outlined that would help you excel in this position, please consider applying. Please address your cover letters to Mike Yan and include a short example of a problem you had to solve while travelling.
Please apply at:
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.