Position: Executive Director
Organization: Green Venture
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Since 1994 Green Venture has worked with homeowners, schools, businesses, and governments, in Hamilton and area, to inspire and facilitate action to protect our shared environment. Our innovative and practical programs include providing students with educational experiences, helping homeowners and neighborhoods conserve and protect resources and helping government deliver environmental programs. Green Venture works out of EcoHouse in Hamilton’s east end which has been developed to demonstrate sustainable options and provide a venue for environmental education.
We are currently looking for an innovative, passionate and inspiring Executive Director to lead our organization. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic planning, organizing and implementation of programs and projects to fulfill Green Venture’s mandate. This critical role requires a goal-oriented individual with sound fiscal responsibility including budgeting and forecasting experience, as well as demonstrated leadership abilities in working with staff, community, board members and organizational partners.
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of administration, planning, leadership, staffing, daily operation and financial management of Green Venture. Reporting to the Board of Directors on a regular basis, the Executive Director is available to Board members, staff and partners as required. Work is conducted in accordance with the bylaws, mission, goals, objectives, policies and procedures set forth by the Board of Directors and all applicable legislation, regulations and standards.
Key areas of responsibility
- Providing leadership and planning expertise.
- Supervising all aspects of day to day business operations of the organization including human resource and financial management functions.
- Securing funding and support for program development and operations.
- Managing partner, stakeholder and community relations.
- Ensuring that all program and contractual goals are attained.
- Ensuring that Green Venture is respected and known within the community for positive, practical and innovative environmental education and action
Board of Directors
Leadership and Planning
- Develop goals for achieving the vision for the organization with the Board of Directors.
- Develop long and short-term plans and appropriate strategies to implement these plans with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Monitor the community, political environment, and resources to take advantage of new opportunities for program development and partnerships.
- Develop and implement regular reviews and evaluations of programs; work to strengthen existing programs.
- Coordinate appropriate reporting concerning Green Venture goals and program/project accomplishments as required by the Board of Directors, partners, staff and funders.
Day to Day Operations
- Ensure establishment of and adherence to policies and procedures for effective operations to ensure program quality.
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of Green Venture facilities/offices and equipment.
- Ensure that the Green Venture business / accounting is maintained to standards expected by third party auditors
- Establish appropriate budget planning and financial monitoring mechanisms, collaborating with Board and staff to facilitate effective program and budget management with Board of Directors and Treasurer.
- Establish adequate information systems i.e. computer systems.
- Establish mechanisms for appropriate administrative support to the Board.
Human Resource Management
- Facilitate organizational processes to enhance effective communication and to support effective working relationships among staff.
- Promote an inclusive working environment where equity and diversity are supported.
- Establish appropriate policies and procedures for effective and efficient personnel management.
- Manage paid personnel including hiring/contracting, review, discipline or release of staff.
- Facilitate staff orientation, training and development.
- In collaboration with staff and Board, take measures to ensure sufficient financial resources to fulfil program/project goals.
- Coordinate the establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships with ongoing funders and with potential new funders including preparation of required reports.
- Identify and explore potential new funding sources.
- Coordinate preparation and submission of proposals for funding.
Partner, Stakeholder and Community Relations
- Work with the Board and staff to ensure strong and effective relations with new and existing partners including proper reporting of activities.
- Liaise with municipal, government, local businesses, community organization and groups to facilitate effective relationships
- Facilitate media relations and act as a media spokesperson
- Facilitate promotion of programs and projects in the community
- Promote identification of key environmental issues and work with the staff and Board to develop strategies to respond to public concerns.
- Ensure concerns from customers and the public are dealt with in a timely fashion
Health & Safety
- As a worker, supervisor, and employer, the Executive Director works jointly with the organization’s Health and Safety Representatives, staff, and the Board of Directors on Health & Safety matters.
- Responsible for implementing Health & Safety programs and ensuring all staff, interns, coops, and other placements/staff are properly trained on Health & Safety issues.
- Provide organizational Health & Safety training as directed.
- Take responsibility for personal health and safety insofar as he or she is able.
- Work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Act and Regulations.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- A post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years management and financial administrative experience with proven supervisory and business skills; experience in the non-profit sector preferred but not mandatory.
- Proven and demonstrable leadership and supervisory skills, including team and consensus building as part of a small but professional multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience with strategic and program planning.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Windows Office Suite and Google for Non-Profits.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Quick Books or similar accounting software.
- Ability to deal with financial and personnel matters in a confidential, ethical and professional manner.
- Effective interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent English oral and written communications skills. Fluency in French (oral and written) an asset.
- Experience speaking comfortably with the public and with the media.
- Ability to adapt to a fast paced and changing environment.
- Initiative, good judgment, high ethical standards
- Familiarity with or activity in non-profit organizations.
- Experience in community based social marketing and environmental issues and programs.
Terms of employment
- This is a permanent position, with a six month probation period.
- The Executive Director works a standard 35-hour work week, but will often work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as meetings, workshops and representing the organization at public events.
- The Executive Director usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may require spending time in non-standard workplaces.
- Salary Range: $61,020 - $76,275
- 3 weeks starting vacation
- Generous benefits package
*Please note: Green Venture relies on funding from various agencies and partners to carry out our daily activities. Funding availability and source may have influence on the activities and responsibilities of the Executive Director.
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and cover letter (in one document) to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 24th, 2019.
Green Venture is committed to providing safe environments for children. All applicants will be thoroughly screened using background checks, including Criminal Record Checks and an extensive review process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls please. Green Venture is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.