Position: Director of Development & Membership Services
Organization: Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association is the non-profit joint operating partner of VanDusen Botanical Garden and Bloedel Conservatory with the Vancouver Park Board and is looking for a new Director of Development and Membership Services. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing and dynamic charitable organization.
The VBGA is seeking a Director of Development and Membership Services who will increase donor and member engagement and increase giving to the Gardens. The Director will establish strategic plans and goals for annual giving, planned giving, major gifts, corporate giving, capital campaigns, membership, and special initiatives. The Director will work as part of the Senior Management Team, with the Executive Director, Board Committees, and department staff to steward donors and members to achieve our goals. The Director supervises a team of professional membership and development staff, as well as volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and implement a departmental strategic plan with annual and long-range goals for grants, annual appeals, major gifts, donor and sponsor engagement initiatives, planned giving, capital campaign, as well as membership acquisition and retention campaigns.
- Reporting to the ED, the Director will cultivate, solicit and steward individual major gifts; transition campaign donors to higher-lever annual and special initiative donors.
- Grow cultivation activities towards the solicitation of new gifts and increase opportunities to engage donors and members to build loyalty.
- Manage all aspects of the Development & Membership department including supervision of staff and volunteers, goal setting and evaluation, budgeting, departmental office systems, procedures, and reporting.
- Oversee grants management for the Gardens and develops grants for programs and initiatives aligned with goals.
- Serve as the staff representative for the Resource Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Supervises Managers, Officers, Coordinators, Assistants in the Department. (Current direct reports – 3 staff).
- Participates in community organizations and events to network and promote the Gardens.
- Manages all aspects of the Membership Services program, including renewals, acquisition, customer service, and encouraging philanthropy from VBGA Members, through Annual Giving and other means.
- Ensuring timely and accurate reporting to the Executive Director and Board.
- Overseeing all aspects of donor stewardship and recognition throughout the lifecycle of engagement.
- Managing ongoing contact with existing and future donors via frequent face-to-face interactions.
- Identifying prospective individual and corporate donors and developing strategies to cultivate those relationships.
- Conducting research and maintaining a pipeline of new donor prospects.
- Maintaining ongoing communications with private and corporate donors.
- Producing briefing notes for use of Executive Director during joint meetings with major donors.
- Maintaining oversight and compliance with CRA charitable regulations.
- Managing the “Alma Society” donor recognition program, planning and collaborating with staff on the management and delivery of fundraising events and donor receptions.
- Managing corporate and foundation relations as they relate to donations and grants.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Arts, Communications or related field.
- 7+ years of frontline development experience with a proven track record in major gift fundraising. Experience with managing a membership or annual giving program is also preferred. Foundation and grant writing experience is an asset.
- 5+ years managing a team of staff and volunteers.
- CFRE (Certified Fund-Raising Executive) designation is an asset.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills.
- Highly polished relationship management skills and confidence and poise in major donor interactions.
- Ability to develop and manage operating budgets.
- Positive, “can-do” attitude and team orientation.
- Strong computer skills and experience using Office, donor and membership databases, social media, and an eagerness to leverage technology.
A comprehensive salary and benefits package including an RRSP program are provided. The salary level will be commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter & resume by October 1st to: email@example.com , with the subject line "Director of Development and Membership Services application". Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.