Home | Job Postings
Position: Chair, Board of Directors
Type: board of directors position / unpaid
Organization: Toronto Green Community
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Toronto Green Community:
The Toronto Green Community’s mission is to inspire, facilitate and support diverse communities in developing an environmentally sustainable city through education, engagement and joint neighborhood initiatives." Our Vision is "Engaged and connected communities thriving in a sustainable Toronto".
Toronto Green Community (TGC) is seeking a new Board Chair to lead this community-based charitable organization into an era of financial growth and security, strong community-based partnerships, and new levels of success in addressing local environmental challenges. The chair will share specialized professional expertise with the Board of Directors. He/she will contribute advice and knowledge to the Board of Directors while upholding the organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Note that this is a volunteer position, which requires a motivated professional who is passionate about the environment, social responsibility and leading change.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure clarity of vision and outcomes through the process of developing a Strategic Plan
- Develop and manage relations and communications with funders, partners and other stakeholders
- Lead the Board discussion and approval of the Annual Operations Plan and Budget to ensure compliance with the Strategic Plan and all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Ensure regular reviews of the Annual Operations Plan and Budget throughout the year.
- Provide leadership and support to the Executive Director/senior staff member, and conduct annual performance appraisals
- Assist in recruiting new Board Members while upholding TGC’s values and commitment to diversity
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization.
- Take a leadership role in ensuring the financial stability of the organization, by identifying, cultivating and soliciting support from major donors, corporations and foundations
- Chair monthly Board and Executive Committee meetings
- Uphold, develop and maintain TGC by-laws and policies ensuring that they reflect the organization’s mandate and meet external regulations
- Take a leadership role in organizing the Annual General Meeting assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees, staff members, volunteers, and community to enhance Toronto Green Community's mission
- Willing to commit to a 3-year term as Board Chair volunteering a minimum of 8 hours per month
- Attend at least 10 of the 12 board meetings (yearly) in downtown Toronto
The candidate must have three or more of the following:
- A strong personal passion for the environment
- Extensive professional experience (+10 years) with significant executive leadership accomplishments in either business or government, and the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit Board member or Board Chair
- A track record of securing major gifts to a nonprofit.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and facilitating and building consensus Personal qualities of integrity, dependability, flexibility, resourcefulness, excellent communication skills and a passion for the goals of TGC
Send a cover letter explaining what would make you an excellent Board Chair for TGC and your resume to:
by March 22nd 2017. Please specify the position title in the subject line of your email.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 38769
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Mar 7 2017