Home | Job Postings | Work with animals
NOTE: The deadline for this posting has just passed.
View current job postings at GoodWork.ca.
Position: Legal Board Member
Type: board of directors / unpaid
Organization: The Amelia Foundation
Location: remote / anywhere in Canada
We are a not-for-profit organization that seeks to protect the relationship between people experiencing homelessness and their companion animals by providing pet-friendly supportive services and services that reduce the financial and logistical burdens of having a companion animal for people currently experiencing homelessness.
Legal related responsibilities:
- Giving accurate and timely counsel in a variety of legal topics.
- Specifying internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics (labour law, partnerships, international ventures, corporate finance etc.)
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights.
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization.
- Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility.
- Maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation.
- Collaborating with management to devise efficient defense strategies when appropriate.
Board related responsibilities:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements TAF’s strategic plan.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by TAF for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approving TAF’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO.
- Assisting the board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments.
- Representing TAF to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring TAF’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities TAF serves.
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Legal Counsel or company secretary.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate or not for profit law and procedures.
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment on an organisation.
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- BSc degree in Law or J.D. degree.
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage;
- Previous Not-for profit experience will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in corporate governance system development is an advantage.
How to apply
Send your resume and reasons for wanting to volunteer for this role to Barendsmit0@gmail.com
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Apr 15 2022