SUMMER STUDENT JOB
Position: Garden Demonstrator Summer Student
Type: summer job / summer student position
Organization: Dundurn National Historic Site
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reports to the Curatorial Programming Assistant. Provides visitor orientation and interpretation of Dundurn National Historic Site; interprets nineteenth century gardens and grounds and demonstrates historical gardening activities; plans, co-ordinates and conducts period garden activities and programmes.
- Works as part of a team with Historic Garden Coordinator, garden demonstrators and other summer students and volunteers.
- Receives visitors, gives tours and provides historical interpretation of the site (including Dundurn Castle, the historic Kitchen Garden, Dundurn Park and all associated out buildings).
- Wears period costume and acts the role of a nineteenth century servant/gardener
- Responsible for all aspects of tours, programmes and special events such as demonstrations, timing, group control, visitor and artifact safety, planning, promotion, and implementation for the site.
- Provides interpretation while engaging in historical gardening activities.
- Plants and maintains period gardens using both traditional and modern methods and equipment.
- Researches traditions, techniques, information and equipment for 1850s gardens and estate grounds as well as information relating to Dundurn Castle.
- Maintains security for historic kitchen garden, associated out buildings and artifacts.
- Assists with developing and implementing public programs such as workshops, special events, educational programs, lectures, demonstrations, tours, etc. for the public including school age children, seniors, adults, disabled and special interest groups.
- Represents the museum at off site functions
- May be required to take tickets and complete related forms.
- Maintains tools and reports maintenance deficiencies.
- Opens and closes historic garden as required.
- Word-processes correspondence, garden notes and educational support material.
- Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
HOW TO APPLY
The Garden Demonstrator Summer Student job description is not included on the City of Hamilton page where you apply. Your qualifications will be determined by a questionnaire when you apply.
If you select “Apply Now” you will be given a questionnaire which will determine your experience in customer service, gardening, and historic interpretation. To get there, select “apply now for a summer student job”. Select “2017 Summer Students – COURSE SPECIFIC/ADMINISTRATIVE” to be taken to the questionnaire.
Note: Applicants must be returning to full-time schooling in the Fall 2017 semester.
Successful applicants have been from a range of programs, including Music, Engineering, Art History, Environmental Science, and French. If you have ANY experience in customer service and/or gardening and/or historic interpretation, please apply.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
GoodWork ID: 37367
Date posted to GoodWork.ca: Jan 5 2017